iMove HD/ ilife 2005 no sound

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ^squirrel^, May 25, 2006.

1. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Hi all,

I have just been converted to Macs!!!!!!

Enjoying the iLife package and have been using iPhoto.

I having a little issue with iMovie. I have my movies on my desktop and they play fine in Quicktime. When i import them into iMovie they play without sound. I have done the updates for iLife.

Can anyone help?

Thanks all

Darren

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I know this is a bit obvious, but do you have the volume turned down in iMovie? It has its own separate volume control.

3. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

:D It's on full blast!

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The most likely answer is that the movie files that you've imported are "muxed" mpeg files. You'll need to demux them before importing into iMovie.

Take a look at MPEGStreamClip. Also, bbDemux and MoreMissingTools.

5. ^squirrel^ thread starter macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

yes you are right! I will try and find a tool to convert them. What is the best format to have them in?

Many thanks for your help so far all

D

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The best format for iMovie use is DV. These are the types of files that you'd get from a miniDV camcorder. Keep in mind, DV footage takes up a lot of hard drive space, so if you have a lot of footage, then you'll need lots of free space.

iMovie will work with MPEG-4 footage as well, but I think that you'll need iMovie HD (aka iMovie '06) for that.

One last thing, the conversion from MPEG to DV will likely result in some quality loss. Then, if you convert it back to MPEG (or something else with more compression than DV), you'll lose some more quality. It all depends on what you plan to do with the footage.

OK, this is the last thing. the DV footage that iMovie uses is 720x480. So iMovie will scale your video to that when importing.

ft

EDIT - just realized that iMovieHD was included in iLife'05. You should be good to go.