iMovie 06 doesnt render

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacDonaldsd, Jan 27, 2006.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I have a PowerBook G4 1.33 GHz and 768 RAM but I have just installed iLife 06 and im having problems with iMovie not rendering.

The rendering bar mostly starts but never fills up, I notice a bit of slow down on my mac so it must be trying to do something.

2. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

What is this "rendering bar" of which you speak?

I'm sitting here with iMovie HD (5.0.2) supposedly rendering an "Adjust Colors" on a 30-minute, 7-gig clip/project, and I was just bemoaning the complete lack of any progress bars on this thing to a coworker. This is my first serious attempt to do anything with iMovie.

Does the absence of a progress bar mean my iMovie isn't really rendering and is just sitting here?

3. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

patience

how long have you waited, on a pb rendering can take a while.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

With a G4 laptop and less than 1 GB of RAM, that rendering could take a loooong time. How long have you let it sit for?

5. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

I have discovered that I do, too, have a progress bar, rendering bar, whatever you want to call it. It's tiny and red and sits directly below the thumbnail of the clip where it appears in the project timeline.

I started some time in the vicinity of 10:30 and it looks like it's about halfway done.

Hmm, workday ends 5-5:30ish. Anyone know what happens if I close the lid on the machine and take it home asleep? Will rendering survive interruption by sleep?

The likelihood of this thing finishing by 5:30 seems kinda remote.

6. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

How long

Well how long is it ment to take ?
    This my first time using iMovie as i just got iLife 06 and a new digital camera. So far its only like 20 seconds long(the movie) how long is this ment to take to render, I left it for 30 minutes and the rendering bar has stopped

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    The time depends on the effect/transition that you're asking your PB to render.

Something like changing colours on a clip will take a while; remember that there are 25/29 frames per second and it has to calculate and apply the effect to all of those. Adding a fade transition would be relatively quick to render.

Oh yeah, if you keep working in iMovie while it's rendering, it will stop so that the Mac's resources are still responsive to you. If you stop working in iMovie (even dragging along the timeline) then it should still be going.

8. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Its a theme

It one of those new animated themes in iMovie (06)

Like i said its really short im shocked it takes so long

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

How short? If it takes a few minutes, then it will take a while to render, particularly if you're editing on your internal HD (if your PB is older, then it may only have a 4200 drive in it) with minimal RAM.

Applying the 'fairy dust' title effect when I had low RAM and was doing it on the internal hard drive used to take several minutes for just 5 seconds. With 1.25GB of RAM and a 7200 drive, it was cut down to about 10 seconds.

10. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Very Short

We are talking 20 secs
    2 picture
    1 20 sec clip (2mb file)
    put into a theme

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

But how long is the whole theme?

I think, although delighted to be proven wrong, that iMovie isn't just rendering the 20 seconds of video that you've put into the theme with the pictures but it has to render the entire segment from where the theme starts to where it ends; the Apple-designed bits aren't pre-rendered.

Admittedly, it does still seem to be taking an overly long time!

12. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

Same whatever I do

Changed theme
    only used 2 photos
    7/8 of render bar fills up in about 30 secs then just stops, been 10 mins now