iMovie 08 won't open iMovie file

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Davy.Shalom, Jul 26, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Ok so my friend gave me game footage from one of our past football games so I can edit it, and it's in iMovie project format. I'm using iMovie 08 on a G5 2.3 dual, and I'm assuming he's using an intel, and probably iMovie 09. Is there a compatibility issue with the iMovies?

I've tried dragging my file into iMovie, importing it, and I've also tried to see if handbrake could convert the file to an mp4, so I could then import it to iMovie. Nothing worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. macrumors 68030

Extract the footage by ctrl-click on the iMovie file, then choose "Show package contents". Dig around in there until you find the actual video files, then import those files into your copy of iMovie.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

There are three items:
    Project
    Proxies
    Quicklook

Project is a tiny 32kb file I think it's the framework for an imovie project. Proxies includes all the data but there are 38 little files in some unix format. Quicklook has a thumbnail.

Thanks but does anyone have any other ideas?

4. macrumors 68030

Looks like the video files aren't contained within the project file, but in a folder called "iMovie Events" which your friend has. Get him to transfer the videos to you from there.