iMovie 2.1.2 & iMovie 3.0.1?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Billicus, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

Is it possible for me to download and install iMovie 3 to try while leaving iMovie 2.1.2 on my machine, which is an iMac running Jaguar. I'm working on a fairly major iMovie for school right now, and the school computers use version 2.1.1, and have been compatible with mine at home. Question: could I use the iMovie with 3 and continue using it with 2?

Thanks in advance. :D

2. King Cobra macrumors 603

First of all, don't upgrade your iMovie software until you have completed your project and have submitted it.

Second, I haven't tried it myself, but IF you NEED to install iMovie 3 now and still use 2, rename your current iMovie (2) app to something else, say, iM2. Bring iM2 to another folder, preferably to somewhere in your user folder. Also, transfer all of your iMovie 2 data to another directory (if you have an iMovie folder in the Movies folder, take it out of the Movies folder and place it elsewhere, say, in the Sites folder, or wherever else).

The method for this is the iMovie 3 installer will replace the app "iMovie" (ver. 2) with "iMovie" (ver. 3) and possibly update your old movies to be only compatible with iMovie 3.

Now if you want to use your data from iMovie 2 to iMovie 3, duplicate your data from the iMovie 2 movies folder (or wherever you placed your data) and place it in the folder the iMovie 3 installer made. Most likely, it will have the same title and location. Also, take "iM2" and place it back in the Applications folder. I'm not sure if you will be able to transfer your data back and forth through iMovie 2 and iMovie 3, even if you did make a perfect backup of iMovie 2. That's why I suggest making a duplicate of the files you are working on and require iMovie 2 for.

Third, iMovie 3.0.1 requires a screen res. of 1024 by 768. If your computer cannot match those requirements, DO NOT install iMovie 3.0.1 on your computer.