Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Invizzible

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Does anyone know how I can prevent iMovie from cropping the image? When I play my movie on a standard 4:3 aspect ratio t.v., the left, right, top, and bottom of the image are all cropped as if the picture were too large to fit in the screen. This is especially disappointing with my current project because I'm transferring all my old home movies to DVD and I want to preserve the entire image.

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
This cropping is normal. TVs do not display the full video image because part of the TV screen is block by the bezel, the front houseing, over the TV screen.

I'm surprised iMovie doesn't have a "TV safe" border because iDVD does. If you open up iDVD go to "advanced" and click on "TV Safe." This will give you a rough idea of where your TV safe boundries are (anthing outside of the box might be hidden when played back on a normal TV).

Lethal

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The image is still there, preserved if you will, you just can't see it with your television. If you play the DVD on a computer. or with the DVD player "zoomed out" (my toshiba can do it), you can see the entire image. No matter how many times you import/export, your image will not be cropped to extinction. :D

Invizzible

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2003
Thanks to both of you! It's a big relief to know that at least the entire image is making it to the DVD. Do you happen to know if viewing it on a different aspect ratio t.v. (like 16:9) would allow the entire image to be seen? Or would some of it still be getting covered by a widescreen t.v.'s bezel (on the top and bottom only, I presume).

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Dale Sorel
A DV clip is 720 x 480, which is not 4:3.

That has nothing to do w/it. Digital video uses non-square pixels.

Invizzible, To answer you Q about how it would look on a 16:9 TV, that I do no know.

Lethal

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.