iMovie 3 STINKS

Discussion in 'Wasteland' started by macsurfer, Jan 31, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

...it's way too slow (and my computer meets all the system requirements), and what is up with the ridiculous 1024x768 resolution requirement? The program runs FINE in 800x600, it just won't start up in it. Apple is just pissing me off the way they are doing things now days, really.

2. macrumors demi-god

LethalWolfe

Re: iMovie 3 STINKS

What are yer system specs. It runs as fast as the last iMovie did for me. I take that back, it loads a bit slower 'cause it's getting all my iTunes and iPhoto info.

And what do you have against 1024*768. that's pretty much the standard res these days.

Lethal

3. thread starter macrumors regular

My system specs are 500mhz G3 iMac 640mb RAM

1024x768 makes everything TOO SMALL. Try reading web pages at that resolution. It's too small it makes reading more fatiquing. I only have a 15inch CRT screen.

The playhead just jumps across the timeline, it does not move in a smooth continuous motion. Does the playhead move in a smooth motion for you or does it jump? I've read alot of people complaining about how slow it is on other sites.

Thanks

4. macrumors 68030

medea

I disagree, my iMac has a 15" screen and 1024x768 is great, I think 800x600 makes things way to big. I also think iMovie 3 is great now, I love the tweaked audio controls and chapter markers is awesome, sorry your displeased, but your really one of the few people who still do not use 1024x768.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I'm "one of the few" people who still use 800x600. I have a CRT iMac NOT a flat panel. 10245x768 makes everything on screen tiny. Look at a website with 1024x768 (on a CRT iMac)!!! It's rediculous!!! Web pages look HORRIBLE on 1024x768.

6. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really do think you'll find that most people with a 15" CRT do use 1024x768 quite happily, I certainly did back in the days when I was using one.

7. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I agree!

iMovie 3 is junk!

I really like iPhoto 2. It scrolls better and is much more responsive on my iMac DV 400. But I might as well forget even running iMovie 3!

It is funny how over time OSX and all the iApps have improved dramatically in performance on my older Mac, but iMovie is the most CPU intensive hog I have ever seen in my life. I agree on the screen resolution. 1024X768 is fine on my iBook 600, but is way too small to read on my iMac.

I know Apple thinks my iMac should be in the dump by now, but it runs awesome and I don't have the money to buy a new iMac right now. I know they must realize there are a lot of G3 machines still on the job because they have continued to improve the applications for them, but not this baby. JUNK!

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think so. I'll bet I'm not the only one out there who thinks 1024x768 on a CRT iMac stinks, even if they don't reply here. Not everyone is registered with this web site.

9. macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I run a 17" CRT at 800X600. My parents refuse to use anything higher.

10. thread starter macrumors regular

The only thing improved in iMovie 3 speed wise is scrolling the thumbnail window....lot's of complaints on the Apple.com forums (even though they moderators over there are Nazis from hell).

11. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I also have a CRT iMac 400, and i've been running 1024x768 for a long time, i love it. Web browser windows are more like floating windows now, less like things that take over your whole screen. I sit 4' away from the screen and i can read everything fine--

pnw

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Paul, I never said I couldn't read it, but it's very straining....and web pages still look bad! Most web pages are not designed for that resolution.

13. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Inoticed a lot of the complainers have crt imacs,sorry but imovie needs the juice and a g3 400 or 500 with no altivec just has problems. My wife has one and i see a big difference with my powermac!

14. thread starter macrumors regular

Dude over on the Apple iMovie forums people are complaining with dual processor machines, even the fastests machines. And apple lists the requirements as 400mhz minimum. I have 100mhz over the minimum.

15. macrumors 6502

MINIMUM system requirements

Meeting the min system requirements means that it will run. It doesn't say anything about running well.

16. macrumors 68000

lmalave

1024x768 is just fine on my 12" iBook.

17. thread starter macrumors regular

FlamDrag -

I exceed the minimum system requirements. In both processor speed and memory. "Minimum System Requirements" should mean the minimum that the system will run well, not just, "it will load up and then crawl..." becuase if that is all it will do it is no good to bother with. However, I don't think this has to do with system requirements, I think it has to do with yet another piece of sloppy software work. They'll probably release a gazillion updates for it, like they have with Jaguar.

18. thread starter macrumors regular

Imalave-

You don't have a CRT either......

19. macrumors 6502

Can you not just turn up the font size on your web browser?

20. thread starter macrumors regular

I did try to increase font size on my web browser, but unfortunately when you do that, it screws up the look and formatting of the web page. Try it using the font controls on Safari. It really sucks.

21. macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I could not agree more. If people that have Dual 1Ghz PowerMacs are complaining about it I don't think it all can be blamed on the computer. No crap a 1.42Dual is going to run it much better then a 400 G3, but it should run OKAY at the minimum requirements and it should run FAST on a Dual G4. All the other software works this way. I think it will be improved, but we will have to wait for a couple of updates.

22. thread starter macrumors regular

Abercrombieboy-

I think Apple is being bombarded with complaints right now. Add yours to iMovie feedback. A lot of people (from what I have read here and there so far) do not seem to be very happy with it. Obviously 3.0 had problems so we get 3.0.1. They still need to work on it more.

23. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Can you quit moaning about not being able to run a brand new piece of software on what is now (very) out dated hardware :rolleyes: sheesh! This is stupid.
    Also I think you'll find that most websites are designed to be viewed at 1024 x 768 as this is (I think) now a global standard.
    I can't believe that you expect Apple to make a piece of software that has so few features etc that it will run perfectly on your old iMac, wake up & and smell the G4's!
    My impression is that you (and many others) expect your Mac to last for ever and run all the latest software flawlessly just because it's a Mac and not a PC, and does not out date as quick as a PC. This may be the casse to a certain extent, but it has a limit. A 500Mhz G3 is in computing terms ancient technology.
    As for the minimum reqs, well, again, what do you expect. Minimum reqs means minimum reqs, of course it will not run smoothly. Nothing ever does on Minimum reqs; games, OS's, apps etc. They all generally need far greater specs if you want them to run at a decent speed.
    This is not to say of course that there arn't problems with the software. If even those with hi spec machines arn't happy then there must be a problem, but even once that's sorted don't extpect it to work great for you.

Feel free to start pulling my post to pieces with all this crap that your machine falls within the requirements.....:rolleyes:

P.S. If you find reading text on a 15" screen at 1024 x 768 a strain, it might be time to visit the opticians.

24. thread starter macrumors regular

edesignuk-

Wow, you're a real jerk ****** aren't you? And by the way most web sites are NOT designed for 1024x768. Jerk. Mind your own business if all you can do is be obnoxious.

25. macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

What you guys are lacking to see is:

a) The iMac only has 256k L2 cache... big perforance hit
    b) Its only 400-500mhz
    c) ITS A G3--
    Now look, im not a G4 zealot, I realize that the G3 is actually faster than the G4 in some cases, but iMovie is very optimized for G4's
    There will be a huge difference in a G3 500mhz vs a G4 500mhz in iMovie. I know that iMovie is slow on my G3 500, but its not much slower than iMovie 2 was.