iMovie 5 prob

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by russed, Feb 6, 2005.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

right, im making a movie consisting of photos and short videos from a digital camera, however, when i import the short video clips, i dont get any sound :( any ideas?

2. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

3. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

I don't use iMovie myself so if my help is vague sorry. First have you managed to import movies from that camera and cable before even if not into iMovie 5? If so the problem lies in the program, double check all the preferences. I assume it is a DV camcorder? Can you connect it directly to the TV to check the sound was recorded ok? As annoying as this maybe if the camcorder has an audio out can you connect it to an audio in on the mac and record as a voice over?
    If I've been of any use I'd be suprised :p I can but try.
    How are you enjoying Spring in West Yorkshire? Roll on the warmer weather I say.

4. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

importing has worked fine before in both previous versions of imovie. the clips have come from just a digital camera and are all about 1 min long and pretty poor (roll on when i have enough money to buy a dv camera!)

with regards to the clips, if i just play them normally in quicktime they have sound, it is just during the importing process, they lose their sound! quite annoying!

with regards to the weather, yeh, roll on summer or give us some decent snow instead of this horrible cold 'nothingness' weather we have had all winter!!

5. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

When you say import, are you taking them from camera to computer then into iMovie or directly into iMovie from th camera? You could try exporting them from quicktime in a different format or try my other suggestion and export the audio separately.

6. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

im taking them from my hard drive, so have already taken them off the camera.

i will try exporting them into a different format in quicktime and see how that goes!

7. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i had this same problem before with my old digi cam would play fine in mplayer but not import sound in iMovie (4 that is ) and it turned out the cam was doing audio in a weird self made audio format and hence imovie could not play it .

extract the audio from quicktime pro and convert to mp3 or aiff that will do it fine then

98 post to go WoooHooo

8. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

are these the little videos from a digital still camera?

I have the same issue and learned that the problem is that some brands use multiplexed (muxed) mpegs....like my sony camera....there are some workarounds which I haven't had the opportunity to try out myself so I can't say if/how well they actually work.

If you search the forums for this you should find some information (including a thread I started a couple weeks ago). No time right now to dig it up myself since I'm at work...