iMovie 6 or Better App For Video Editing/Processing

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by aaps59, Jan 5, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

aaps59

Hi, I know there are many posts about this and Ive read most of them. But most of them are dated and either the links dont worry or they dont help me.

I need a application that works to fast forward video clips and paste them together in a format that works for youtube. Id like a application that doesnt make me reoptimize the video file, and that doesnt make several copies of the original file and move it to where I cant find it. This is the current iMovie does to me and its annoying.
    Does anyone have a working link for the very old iMovie? Or a application that is freeware that fits my requirements? Im never really doing hardcore editing, just fastforwarding etc.

2. macrumors 603

If you indeed don't want to do editing like transformations between two clips, your best bet is QuickTime 7 Pro for $30 ( http://www.apple.com/quicktime/extending/ ). Despite its spartian interface, it's a heck of an app. I (as a video pro, also owning much more expensive editors) use it very often to quickly stitch / edit / cut my videos without (!!!) having to recompress them.

3. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

iMovie11 only does that if you Finalize a Project. There is no need to do this. Just use the Export Movie option in the Share menu. That will create a .m4v file using h.264 compression which YouTube will happily accept.

4. thread starter macrumors regular

aaps59

Well recently ive been trying to import clips to use, and ive done it multiple times and now its not creating the thumbnails correctly, it shows them as grey so I cant use them in the project. SO i have to import them into iPhoto, then I have to optimize them again for use in the project, and I end up having multiples of the same clip.

5. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

OK, that's something different.