imovie, 7gb free but not enough for a 74mb clip?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 840quadra, Dec 23, 2005.

1. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I am stumped.

I have downloaded a few keynotes, and wanted to put one of them that I hadn't yet seen on my iPod 5g. I have been using iMovie on my G5 to copy such videos into a new imovie project, then convert it down to a ipod compatible file.

My iBook currently has 7gb free on the drive were i want to create the iMovie project, but it tells me there is not enough free space on my drive to add a 74mb clip into my empty project. In other words, iMovie is saying I need more then 93 times the total disk space a 74mb file takes, in order to add it to my project :confused:

Is there some switch, tool, cache or buffer setting I can change to allow me to copy this QT file in?

Thanks for any help!

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think it's because when you import any type of video into iMovie, it changes it to raw .dv format, which takes up a enormous amount of space.

3. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

If you have quicktime Pro, there is an option to convert any movie that quicktime can play to a format for the iPod. If you don't have Pro, there is a program, iSquint, which is free and does the same thing. Sure seems a lot easier to me then opening up iMovie every time.

4. 840quadra thread starter Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I have Pro, I didn't see that option. I will give it a try..

Thanks,

5. gangst macrumors 6502a

6. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

i would say to use iSquint.

the best at doing the conversion IMO