iMovie 8 - need help fading in a music track

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by PCMacfly, Nov 17, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2008
    Silly question, but I'm a recent converter to Mac as well, so forgive me... I'm new to iMovie and I have a little video editing experience, and I'm using iMovie 8 to make a new DVD on my new MacBook.

In one of my projects, I added music in the middle of a scene and it appears to be locked around those scenes. This is fine, and I actually like the idea of it being "docked" to those scenes so I can add scenes before and after it without losing syncronization. But when the music is docked, I can't figure out how to fade in the music track at the beginning of the scenes and fade out music at the end of the scenes. I also trimmed the music track to start at a specific point in the song, but its very abrupt and I would like to fade it in.

Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2003
    I dont think you can. This is why a lot of people still use iMovie HD instead of 8.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2008
    Edinburgh, U.K.
    Select the music track (you'll see a yellow box around the green audio "field" when selected), then click on the audio tool (to the right, along the central tool bar between event library and project library panes - it looks like a speaker with a waveform coming out of it). Select manual fade in / fade out and adjust accordingly.

I find that iMovie '08 coordinates reasonably well with Garageband for anything slightly more adventurous than adjusting fades: import your clip to GB, edit and adjust as you see fit, mix down and save to the GB folder, then back in iMovie '08 select the GB folder instead of the iTunes folder from the Music & Sound Effects pane.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2008
    iMovie 8 - need help fading in a music track

Awesome, thanks Andrew