iMovie and Audio anomolies

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by SyneWave, Aug 15, 2006.

1. SyneWave macrumors newbie

SyneWave

iMovie 2.1.2
    G4 733mHz
    OS 10.2.3
    ---------
    I've mainly been using my Mac for Audio editing with Logic & Bias Peak, so am used to handling sound files and effects etc.
    Now I am trying the iMovie I found on the Mac as my first foray into Film editing. (NOTE: I used to physically edit films in the early days, with film and sound tracks and left when video came along.)

Pretty soon one find the limitations of this software - no problem - just lower one's horizons - at least until I can save up enough pennies to buy Final Cut.

So: Here is my problem

There are two audio tracks. Sometimes I split the audio from the video, and then add another sound behind it. Saving the spare audio track for other things. What is happening is any fades I apply to one piece of audio, is carried over to subsequent audio. All indicators are set to off, but the effect continues.

Can anyone explain the inner workings of the program (those little apple secrets that one has to devine) so that I can avoid my sounds from dropping in and out when not wanting to do so.

Thanks Guys

---------------------------
    Steve Jobs for Emperor

2. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

This doesn't answer your question, but if you can't find a satisfactory way to get your problem resolved, you might want to try upgrading. iMovie is currently at version 6 I believe, as a part of iLife 06, and has many new features and refinements since version 2. You could probably find copies of 5 and below for cheap on eBay etc.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

err... so you are doing a fade or like a cross dissolve effect on the video track? and your trying to apply it to the audio as well? My best soultion for you would be to use the rubber bands on iMovie, take the audio and manually set it to go up and down when you want to "fade" inbetween audio tracks so that it matches w/ the movie

4. SyneWave thread starter macrumors newbie

SyneWave

Of course I did look to upgrade, but isn't vs6 for higher than my OS? (Which I do not wish to upgrade because of potential clashes with Logic/Peak) It's never simple:eek:

5. SyneWave thread starter macrumors newbie

SyneWave

Nothing to do with visual cross fade. I was using the panel at the bottom /Fade in/Fade out.

BTW: Working more on it today, it might be that I need to 'click off' one of the audio tracks before viewing the project. Otherwise, if an audio track is still clicked on, then the audio fades seem to continue throughout the viewing.

How does this sound?:confused:

6. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

It probably is, but version 3 or 4 might not be. :)

7. SyneWave thread starter macrumors newbie

SyneWave

I've been surfing all morning looking for iDVD vs 3, which seems to suit my setup.
    NO LUCK.
    At least not by itself. iLife 3 has it, along with a load of other i stuff.
    AND
    Then it seems I need a SUPERDRIVE otherwise iDVD wont work.
    BUT
    I can download a fix to the OS which enables it to work with 'other' DVD burners called PATCHBURN

"PatchBurn is a tool to patch existing
    CD/DVD-drivers (under Mac-OS X 10.2.x) or to generate and install
    new device profiles (under Mac-OS 10.3.x and later)
    It allows many, otherwise unsupported burners to be used directly
    with Mac-OS X, iTunes and DiscBurner.

IT'S FUN ~ Isn't it :D

I don't suppose anyone has a copy of iDVD 3 they no longer need :eek: