iMovie and external storing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chameeeleon, Mar 5, 2004.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

In my nitpicking decision of wanting to make sure that when I finally get my Powerbook it's got everything I'll need, I came to the question of hard drive. I like to do video editing as a side hobby (never more than an hour of footage), but I often want to keep multiple projects even after completion, just to tweak later. I realized on my Windows machine that this required a LOT of room.
    My question is if I can import clips from my camera into iMovie, burn to a DVD, and then create the project by selecting the source of the clips as the DVD. Then when I was finished I could export the project to Quicktime movie, and burn to iDVD from there. Would I run into any problems with this?
    This'll determine whether or not I should go for the 80GB over the 60GB hard drive.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

That should work; you need to make the first DVD as a data DVD (this can be done from the Finder once you have access to the files to burn) and the second one as a movie DVD through iDVD. The nice thing about data DVDs is that they're treated like any other read-only disk when inserted, so you can access files just like you would on a hard disk that can't be written to.