iMovie and iPhoto

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, May 25, 2004.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    At apple they have a compadibility list for cameras and camcorders that work with iPhoto and iMovie. Will your DV camera still work if its say a sony but is not listed? Has this occured to anyone- thanks.
  2. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

Nov 15, 2003
    Chucktown, SC
    As I understand it, any camera with a FireWire port will work with iMovie. I'm not sure about iPhoto. I'm assuming that your camera has the ability to take still images and you want them to integrate with iPhoto. You will certainly be able to use iPhoto, but some of the ease-of-use may be limited (you may have to extract the images manually or with the camera's software and then import them into iPhoto).

My suggestions:

1) search the web for the model of your camera with iPhoto or iMovie in the search criteria.

2) visit an apple store or reseller with your camera and find out.

3) call sony, or check their support info online.
  3. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I had problems finding out about Mac compatibilitiy. Now I make sure before buying.

In general, FireWire camcorders will work with iMovie/Final Cut but I'm not sure this extends to all. Make sure you get Mini DV, NOT MICRO MV AS THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH MACS. Sorry for the bold, but that had to be said. If it's Mini DV and FireWire, there's a good chance it'll work. My dad's JVC camcorder works and that's not on the compatibility list.

iPhoto: most things work. The drivers should be included with OS X - certainly any Canon and I think most Sonys. The best thing to do is
    check in the shop before you buy.
  4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Jan 7, 2003
    Washington, DC
    The imovie list is terribly out of date. Generally all the sonys that are minidv (not microdv or dvd) work, and pretty much all canons and panasonics (recent).

Check the apple support forums-->imovie. Folks have noted compatability over there for a whole host of cameras.
  5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident

I have been amazed at the high compatibility of cameras. For example, my friend purchased a new Kodak camera, I plugged it into my iBook and an icon of this brand new model showed up and it imported the photos fine. It has worked with at least 6 digital cameras that I have connected to it with no problems. Windows XP required drivers on half of them that it couldn't resolve. I had originally thought XP was more advanced than that.

I hooked up 2 separate video cameras and a product called Dazzle that bridges analog sources and all three worked fine. The one area that seems to be weak with Mac OS X is scanners. The scanners I have required a download and the only programs I could find to support the scanner was Adobe Photoshop and Elements because a special plugin was required.

Perhaps scanners aren't popular with most consumers anymore so there isn't as much of a demand to make this process better.
  6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

Sep 18, 2003
    London, UK
    I had a Canon Digital Ixus 400 (Powershot S400 in the US) and had an accident, so upgraded to the Canon Powershot S500. My Canon image software couldn't recognise the new camera and I had to install the new drivers but iPhoto already recognised it straight off! (I need to use the Canon software to download the MPEG movies)