iMovie and .mp4 ripped from DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanray, Sep 20, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005
    I have iMovie HD. I made a DVD from a digital video tape (with iMovie - the "quick" DVD). The DVD works with the DVD drive in my PB G4. I want to import the DVD into a current project on iMovie. I looked about and there's quite a bit written on using HandBrake (HB). I ripped it with the setting at 100% to an .mp4. The file is over 6 GB. I tried to import into my iMovie project, with the following error message:

The file could not be imported: The file “FynnDrive/Users/praxisalaxis/Desktop/Movie.mp4” can’t be imported; QuickTime couldn’t parse it: -2048

Here's the link whose information I used:

Any suggestions? Were my setting incorrect on HB? Do I need to do something more to the file? There's some mention of FFMPEGX, but the post made it sound as if you'd be able to rip directly from HB and then import.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  2. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 18, 2005

So, I spent 45 minutes on the phone, most of it on hold, only to be told by Apple Support that my .mp4 should've worked. No help at all. Also, more time spent on HB discussion, MR discussion, and Mac support discussion looking for a solution without luck. Any help is appreciated. Rodney