iMovie and VHS

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by theman5725, Sep 16, 2006.

1. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I am about to use this guide:
    http://www.macworld.com/2004/05/features/fromvhstodvd/index.php

Apparently my MiniDV camcorder doesn't have a pass-through mode. However it says:
    How do I do this? Thank you.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

This sort of confused me as well. Here is what I will say. How much exactly is that analog to DV converter? If it is less than say EYE TV 200 then I seriously suggest getting that. I wouldn't do the whole dub deal. All that screams is TIME!

I have EYE TV 200 and I plug a VCR into the EYE TV, go to Controls and pick composite video in. I then hit play on the VCR, record on eye tv and let it play. Then from Eye TV I right click and export. There are over 8 formats..ipod, 720i, 1080i, mov, etc etc. I make sure though that 720i WILL CROP your full screen videos. There is no "fit to screen" deal as far as I could tell.

All of this for a 40 minute video took about 3 hours on my powerbook 1.67ghz. That was also that I made a little menu in iDVD and also set up bonus material.

BUT say you don't want eye tv and this analog to dv works well and isn't a lot of cash, do that. In the end either you output to imovie or output to eye tv. I think the process of each will take roughly the same time regardless.

I'm sorry that's not exactly the answer you're probably looking for, but I have one movie that came out on vhs in 1994. It was too early for it's time and no one got into it. There are a few people that know of it, but the few that do have received a copy on dvd from me. I had to steal a friends vcr just to do it because I don't have one any longer.

Good luck. I can tell you more about eye tv if you need, if that is the route you wish to go.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It sounds like the OP already owns the DV camcorder, so it'll definiltey be cheaper than eyeTV.

What the docs are suggesting is:

Connect your VHS to your camcorder, insert tape, hit record.

Now you've got 1 hour of VHS on a DV tape in your camcorder

Rewind the tape. Hit play and capture in iMovie.

Both operations will happen in real time, so to get an hour of vHS to iMovie will take 2 hours minimum.

B

4. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

When you day hit record, do you mean on the MiniDV camcorder or the VCR?

5. kewpid macrumors regular

Click play on the VCR. Click Record on the camcorder.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

LOL. I guess that wasn't clear in my original post.

The way I usually do it is hit record on the camcorder, then hit play on the VCR.

B

7. theman5725 thread starter macrumors 6502

This isn't working.

I press record on my MiniDV camera but it simply records like it would normally. I do not understand how I am to transfer this. I have the MiniDV camera hooked up to the VCR with the yellow and white cables (audio video i think) and I am still not sure what to do. Help please.

My camcorder is a JVC something BTW, I don't see anytype of model number on it or anything.

8. hardhatmac macrumors regular

hardhatmac

Make sure your camera is in VCR mode, also there might be a separate record button specifically for doing this....in some cases you have to press "play" and "record" at the same time...

On the down side, some low-end miniDV cams don't allow you to record from a line in (such as a VCR)....I hope yours can handle it.