Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nar1117

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
Hey this question has been bugging me for a while...

Is there any way to make all the auido in an iMovie project into one MP3? For instance, i have been using iMovie to split songs and then put them back together, for a creative project type thing. I dont have any video at all. I want to make the audio track that i have created into an MP3 so i dont have to use a DVD RW to play the music. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks
Nar

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Well Nar1117, I'm glad you asked that question.
When your in iMovie, select all of your sound files in the "Drag clips to build your project." (hold down shift to select multiple files).
Then hit shift command "E" (or File>Export).
Go to the "Garage Band" tab, click "Share".
Garage Band will open up.
Delete the video track by selecting it and push command delete.
Now click on "Share" in the menu bar; click "Send Song To iTunes"
iTunes will now open up.
In iTunes click "Advanced" in the menu bar; click "Convert Selection to MP3"
The song will now be in your library in "MP3" format. :cool:

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Or, you could just use QuickTime Pro to easily select portions of an MP3 (or many MP3s), copy and paste them into a new file, and export it directly right then and there, no fuss, no muss.

Or you could go the "ZOMG convoluted" way mentioned above.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Lacreo said:
I resent that. :p
But I couldn't think of any other way.
Some people will go great lengths for stuff that seems insignificant.
Example
It's okay, Lacero. I recognize your name from tooling around these crazy forums, and I <3 you. :p Nothing personal. I'm just a fiend for the more efficient method.

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Cless said:
It's okay, Lacero. I recognize your name from tooling around these crazy forums, and I <3 you. :p
I feel stupid asking this, but what does "<3" mean?
For now I'll just say, "Thank you. I <3 you too."

And you wont be recognizing me anymore. Im having my username changed.
If everything goes smooth, I shall roam the forums as "Unorthodox"!

Cless said:
I'm just a fiend for the more efficient method.
Good. The more efficient the better. :)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
It's actually easier than the options above. No need for Quicktime Pro ($30) or GarageBand (needs a G4). You have everything you need, well, you'll need iTunes, but that's free.

Right click (or ctrl-click) the iMovie project file that has the audio bit you want. Select "Show Package Contents". A new finder window will open up and you can individually select the audio file(s) you want. Copy it onto the desktop.

Use iTunes to convert the AIFF file that you just put on the desktop to MP3.

OK, maybe it wasn't easier than the above methods, but for those without a G4 (or better) and don't want to spend $30 on QT Pro, it's the only option.

ft

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
ftaok said:
OK, maybe it wasn't easier than the above methods, but for those without a G4 (or better) and don't want to spend $30 on QT Pro, it's the only option.
I think thats easier.
Beats opening three iLife apps at the same time.
And if you don't have garage band thats another problem. :cool:

ozziened

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
SOS re Imovie to MP3

Hello.
Is it possible to convert a project in my Imovies made of of various video segments to an MP3 to send to someone in another country. I need to do this in 5 days for a residency application. I'm not very computer savy but try. I have a MacBook and the Imovie programme is '08 (I think)

If anyone can help me with this I'd be veeeeeeeeeeeery grateful.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.