iMovie Backup To External Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GilGrissom, Jun 26, 2006.

1. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

I've got a little pickle I'm hoping you guys will be able to help me with.

I use iMovie a lot in waves for work, and when I do its usual several hours of recordings of a DV camera, so my hard drive space shoots straight down. I haven't got enough to keep on my local drive so need to back up the files I've already done and finished with for later on incase I need them again.

I have a 250Gb external drive which is now formatted for HFS+ (journaled) so I can easily copy my iMovie files across to the drive to free up local hard drive space.

My problem, folks, is that when I open up the file again from the drive all the media clips etc that were inside it are now missing and the file is technically blank, but it is a large file, so where are the media clips and what has happened to my precious iMovie file? Why has putting it on an external drive done this?

I've been meaning to ask for ages, but haven't been in one of my "waves" of using iMovie, but I'm currently stuck right in the middle of a wave now!...I have finished importing a video off my firewire DV cam, and now my local drive is down to a worrying 424.7Mb free space!...eeeek!

I've saved my current iMovie file to my external USB drive as it was on the local drive, but before I close iMovie down and delete my local file I need to make sure that I can get at that file again!

Any suggestions, oh mighty people of MR?!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

There is an "Archive Project" option in iMovie (a few lines below "Save" I think), it might be what you are looking for.