iMovie- can't export all clips to wmv format

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by grubbytip, Sep 27, 2006.

1. grubbytip macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    When I try to export an imove project to wmv, only the first three or so of five clips will end up in the resulting file. They all show up when I export to .mov format files. (I'm talking about trying to put together just a short 60 second clip.)

I haven't got the "share only selectec clips" box checked, and I can't figure out what's up. Do I have to have quicktime Pro for it to work?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I didn't think iMovie could export to WMV (or even use WMV) because that's a proprietary Windows format. Do you have a plugin that lets you work with WMVs in iMovie?

To be honest, it's a pain in the arse to work with WMVs on a Mac so you might be better off just using MOVs instead. :)
  3. grubbytip thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    Expert settings

lets you export to all kinds of formats, including wmv.

I just want to use a format that has the widest browser support -- I was under the impression that a windows format would, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd actually like to export to flash, but that's a whole other matter. Can't seem to convert anything to flash, not even using ffmpegx which I can't get to work for the life of me.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    The most popular video format is still the old tried-and-true (or is that tired and blue?) multiplexed MPEG-1 (*.mpg). Every Mac, Windows, and Linux/Unix computer can view it.
  5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

Mar 31, 2005
    Sounds like you have F4M in it's trial/demo mode. To export a project to wmv format, you need this paid version of F4M. (not to be confused with the cheaper player pro which does not export to wmv)
  6. grubbytip thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    f4m pro

Ah... hm... dont know if shelling out 50 bones is worth it. Thanks!
  7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005