iMovie date stamp

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wrock, Mar 15, 2005.

1. Wrock macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2003
    Well, I finally made the upgrade from a vhs camcorder to a miniDV camcorder. The one thing that's kind of ticking me off, is the time and date stamp. On the old vhs camera, it was burned right into the image, so I'll always know when those 'memories' were filmed.

The problem is, when importing from the new minidv camera, that timestamp dissapears. I know it's imported into iMovie, since it has a 'capture date' in the clip info. I'm either blind, stupid, or blonde, but I just can't figure out how to get that information into the video itself.
    I've done some google searching, but I really haven't come up with any useful information.
    I suppose I could use the "title" function, and manually enter it for every clip, but that seems like a very masochistic way of doing it. There's gotta be an easier way.

Any thoughts?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Does your camera generate SMPTE time code?
  3. Wrock thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2003
    I have no idea how the timecode is generated. The manual isn't exactly clear on that.
    It's a Canon zr100, just your average consumer dv camera. If I have the time and date on the camera's display while recording, that date will show up as the capture date in the clip info in iMovie, so I know that the app is getting something.

The same thing happened when I tried using my sister's Samsung camera. Of course, she has no idea how to get the datestamp into the image either.