iMovie export to WMV (with Flip4Mac UB)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by GenesisST, Aug 12, 2006.

1. GenesisST macrumors 68000

GenesisST

Hello,

I am trying to export a short movie of my son to WMV. This is for my PC-only friends that somehow haven't heard the concept of updating and they can't see a MOV version of it. :)

I think the export is done using Flip4Mac (which I just bought, because I thought it was due to the trial version being limited).

Here's the problem: although the clip is abnout a minute long, when I playback the WMV it is around 26 seconds.

Is there a quick fix for this? My next step will be to contact Telestream for support, but you guys are always teh fastest resource!

Thanks! (for this and for all the help since I switched).

Note: I finally got rid of my PC! I use Boot Camp for some games, MS Money (don't want to manually import 10 years worth of data into the free Quicken 2006) and Adobe Audition.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

iMovie seems to be an awfully big hammer for such a small nail. If I understand you correctly, you are using iMovie as a format converter. You would be better served using QuickTime Pro. However, your PC-only friends would be better served by downloading and installing the iTunes/QuickTime bundle. Since the Windows version of Windows Media Player can also play .mpg files, why not convert your video to that format?

3. GenesisST thread starter macrumors 68000

GenesisST

My clips were imported from my camera into iMovie. I thought of using just one app to do so.

Also, there is only Mpeg-4 as a mpeg format, they can't read as well. The problem is that those friends are on dial-up, so they can't really update unless they cut ties to the world for a few hours... :)

I did not find any mpeg-2 exporter, which would have made my day. Unless it is named somewhat differently than "MPEG-2".

Finally, I do not want to have to buy QuickTime Pro. I thought everything I needed came out-of-the-box on a Mac ("I'm a Mac, and I'm a PC ads..." ).

Or I could just stop caring about people that do not want to update. :)

Thanks!

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MPEG-4 is based on QuickTime. QuickTime supports this format out-of-the-box.
    MPEG-2 is the format used in DVDs. If you have a mini DVD camcorder, it records in MPEG-2 format. If this is the case, then you need to place the DVD into your optical disc drive tray. If you have a slot-loading optical drive, you are SOL. You will need Handbrake or similar DVD ripping app. I had assumed that you were using a digital still camera with video capability. Now might be a good time to ask you for the manufacturer and model of your camera.
    Now you are being just a bit snippy. Those ads did not mean that you do not need third-party software or additional fee-based software from Apple. They mean only that if you use standard peripherals, your new Mac will be productive out-of-the-box.
    You try to accomodate your friends and family. As a Mac user, you also have the responsibility to gently and lovingly educate them.

5. Geth macrumors newbie

If you want to help people, you certainly don't do it by assuming they're stupid and suggest a completely different method. You could, of course, just answer his question on why iMovie exports only like 26 seconds to WMV.

iMovie gives the option to export to WMV. I've tried exporting a photo-presentation movie I've created in iMovie to WMV but that didn't work as of the same reasons: it only exports about the first 30 seconds or so.

I don't need to know what other methods there are (and if I did, I'd ask). My question here is the same as the original post. If you can, please answer that.

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Have you paid the fee for Flip4Mac?

7. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Bear in mind that there are several different flavors of Flip4Mac, each with additional features and capabilities. The "player pro" version, which is a paid upgrade to the free version, adds the ability to import WMV based clips into applications like Quicktime and iMovie and edit them. You can then export them - but not in .wmv format. You have to export the finished project into standard Quicktime formats

The "studio pro" version is another, more expensive Flip4Mac paid upgrade that will allow you to not only import .wmv-based clips, but also export them in .wmv format.

Bottom line is that if in order to create .wmv files, you must have the Flip4Mac studio pro version.

8. Geth macrumors newbie

Ah, ok. Thanks :)
    I thought it was some bug because it never showed anything about using Flip4Mac. But I guess it's like some sort of demo which allows you to create half a minute in .wmv :\