iMovie HD best compression

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by allamb, Mar 29, 2007.

1. allamb macrumors member

I have pretty much mastered iMovie except for being able to export the movies without the movie being huge.

Please help, I see many movies that last hours and take up less space than a 5 minute movie of mine.

If i reduce the size the quality is simply unwatchable. Can someone help?
    What format should i save them in, frames per second etc. etc

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm just beginning with iMovie HD myself, and when I export for my video podcasts, I use the iPod setting, but that does make the quality much lower. In this case it's a podcast, so no harm, no foul.

I think, if you go to the window for export, as you click on each option, it should tell you the aspect ratio (e.g. iPod -> 320x240). Look for the one that gives the highest aspect ratio, and export. It may be a large file, but then you can use a conversion program to make it a divx, xvid, .mp4 etc, that will retain some quality but reduce the size.

Maybe that will help, I'm just not sure of iMovie's full capabilities, nor what formats and qualities it will allow you to do.

Brian

3. allamb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks I will try.

at the moment to get any once of quality i have to save it in full quality and DVD.

Could it be because i am filming with a digital camera rather than video camera?

4. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm not sure if that would be the reason, since basically you have to convert video camera to digital media anyway, but here is an idea.

If you can save your project as a DVD image, mount the image, and then use Handbrake (I think called Mediafork now) to rip it into an AVI or MP4 format. Handbrake is great for ripping (backing up), and compressing DVD images.

Brian

5. pengu macrumors 6502a

ok. its THIS SIMPLE.

go to export. choose quicktime. choose "expert settings". then click export. the Quicktime Export window will appear with the options for how to export the video.

choose what you want (such as H.264, MP4, Divx/Xvid (with the divx/3ivx/xvid plugins for QT) and go. burning a DVD and then ripping that to MP4 is not only a waste of time, it will result in worse picture quality.

6. allamb thread starter macrumors member

i will give that a go

the MP4 seems to work OK, I have not yet found Divx or Xvid but will follow the instructions.

I am now on 350MB for 5 minute movie with pretty good quality. the dvd option was at over on GB. Am i trying to be too picky?

Thanks for all the suggestions

7. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I learn something new and better everyday. Thanks.

Brian