iMovie HD Importing Help?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac abuser, Apr 12, 2006.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I just got back from vacation, and want to make a movie in iMovieHD 6.0.1 on my intel iMac. I have a Canon ZR600 minidv camcorder connected directly to the imac via usb.

I have used past versions of iMovie to create projects, but it's been a while. For some reason when I go over to toggle to the video camera the only one it shows is my isight. I need some help, how can i get my clips imported?

Thanks
    Chris

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

iMovie requires your camcorder to be hooked up via firewire, not USB. That's why it sees your iSight.

BTW, will you be hooking this iMac up to an external firewire drive as well? If so, avoid Lacie drives, since there is a known conflict between that and your ZR600.

3. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

I have a Maxtor II external hard drive. I think the cable is technically firewire. It has the small 1394 connector on the one side and usb on the other side. It's not a firewire like with an iPod, but I have seen this type of cable labled firewire before. Is this the wrong type?

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

"Technically Firewire" doesn't make much sense. Is the end you plug into your computer rectangular (usb) or rounded on one side (FW)?

I have a Canon Optura 60 video cam, and for me the camera-side ports look pretty similar for usb and firewire, but they are not. Did you buy a separate FW cable, or are you using the cable that shipped with the camera?

5. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

FW cable for you

I don't think the ZR600 ships with a FW cable, but here's one that will work for you: link

The important thing is to have a 4-pin to 6-pin cable. It'll probably cost around $20-25 for a decent one.

6. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

it shipped with a cable, but may not be the right one let me check the link you posted.

chris

7. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Yeah, that's what it was just needed to buy another crappy expensive cord. But atleast it works now as simply as I knew it should. Thanks, just don't understand why they ship it with that lame cable they do, unless that's just to pull crap off the SD memory card or something.

Thanks Again
    Chris

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

You're right on both counts. The USB cord is necessary for the flash memory. Also, some Windows movie software use it for video. iMovie, however, requires FW.

Glad to hear it's working for you.