imovie HD - no sound with imported mpeg 4(from DC)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fire_oct, Jan 21, 2005.

1. fire_oct macrumors newbie

i imported a mepg4 recorded by my sony digital camera,
    the pic is ok but with no sound,
    any thought?
    thanks

2. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

maybe iMovie HD wants to get that mp4 clip from iPhoto instead of importing it from within iMovie? see if that works.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

One problem that plagues most of Apple's MPEG-reading programs (I can't pick up iLife'05 until later today, so I can't verify the case with the newest apps,) is that they won't handle single-track MPEGs. Most MPEG compressors have video and audio as separate tracks. Some 'multiplex' them in a single track. I know QuickTime 6 Pro doesn't like the multiplexed MPEG-1 files my Sony digicam records. If I want to use these MPEGs in projects, I have to use third-party programs to 'de-mux' them, then convert them into different file formats, THEN import them into iMovie.

I'm seriously hoping iMovie '05 fixes this with it's reputed MPEG import capability. (I'll report back later today when I get my copy.)

4. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I have an easy solution, but you're not going to like it. There's a freeware app called MPEG Streamclip that will demux your file. It works very well. The part you're not going to like is that it requires you to have Apple's MPEG 2 Playback Component, which runs around $30.

Those are invaluable tools if you're going to edit your mpegs though.

5. dejaentendu macrumors newbie

So this is the only known way to fix the problem of no sound when importing mpeg clips? Anybody know any other ways? Thanks for any info.

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

bbDemux is a free demuxer, and as far as I know it doesn't need QT Pro.