Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I'm thinking about getting a mac mini because of the iApps that are included, especially the iMovie HD. I want to use it to create a 10-minute HD film using a mixture of both images, text, and clips. Now, is it possible to do effects on images, such as zooming in on a particular part of the image. Also, can you do effects with text? Finally, working on a 10 minute HD documentary with the standard 512mb RAM (the low end $500 edition), will there be much lag while using this program?

switchr92

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2005
Dude, come on?

You do understand you are talking about the weakest system apple sells, right? It doesn't even have a G5!
I'm just kidding with you, the mini will manage. In fact, it will probably due quite well compared to windows systems of the same price. 512MB RAM is a large no-no in the movie editing catigory. Definetely max the RAM out to a Gig. it will be ten times smoother. I would upgrade the RAM from the applestore, because I've heard that the case on the mini is almost impossible to open. good luck with your purchase,
Switchr92

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
its going to be slow, and quite painful in my opinion. This SHOULD be posted in digital video. You don't appear to be a "PRO" user, so I guess the Mini would suffice. Make sure that the movie doesn't pass 10 minutes, cuz iMovie apparently can't handle it too well.

There will be LAG, because of course you are editing HD. AND, another problem is that the mini has a slow hard drive (i've been told), so Capturing could also be a problem. This is the cold hard truth about video editing. You really need to spend a lot of money to get a decent editing machine. (Look at my sig).

Good luck with your purchase, and I hope I didn't discourage you, but inform you. ;)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Best thing is to put your video footage on an external firewire HD (7200 RPM).

A maxtor 300gb 7200rpm is around $100, and an empty firewire external HDD case is about $30.

That and 1gig RAM will see you through. You can sell the drive with case for $100 afterwards or use it on a different computer.

As long as you don't do a vast number of complicated long duration special effects. Simple fades, wipes, cuts, and titles are perfectly fine tho.

xoxo RedTomato

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.