iMovie HD Problemo!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by extremo, Jan 23, 2005.

1. extremo macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

Ive been playing around with imovie HD for awhile, and I have to say its frickin awesome! However, I keep having one problem, Im converting some old vhs movies into imovie using a formac convertor, and imovie stops importing after 19 minutes of video. It just creates one clip, thats exactly 4 gb, and just stops importing. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. KershMan macrumors 6502

Sounds like there is some sort of file size limit. Maybe each clip can only be 4GB in size. Anyone know if OS X has a file size limit? I know previous versions of Solaris and Windows would not allow file sizes larger than 2GB.

3. Bear macrumors G3

HFS+ can handle files that are multi-terabyte in size. So the limitation seems to be an iMove one (and I recall reading about it somewhere).

A lot of operating systems had a 2GB file size limit originally. Solaris hasn't had that limit in a while.

If you want to know all the intimate little details about HFS+ see Apple's Technical Note TN1150 - probably a lot more detail than you really wanted.

4. supersize macrumors member

I have been playing around and have managed to import a 22gb clip i captured from vhs with my dvr card (.mov format) and it worked fine. Granted it did take almost an hour to import but after that it was in the timeline as all one big clip. I don't know if that helps at all but it worked for me.

5. extremo thread starter macrumors newbie

I know iMovie 4 had a size limit on each clip of 2GB, however, it would then just create another clip. iMovie HD just stops importing after one clip. Any other ideas for a work around?

6. Bear macrumors G3

Could this be affected by what format you are importing? It could be a bug in iMovie HD... provide Apple with feedback saying it seems to be a bug since it worked in previous versions.

The only suggestion I can offer for a quick fix is to Get Final Cut Express HG. Not a free solution, but depending on what type of video you are working with, you might do better with FCE anyway.

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

iMovie should keep importing until you run out of hard drive space. There is a limit for each clip (9 minutes or something like that) but it will just start a new clip when you exceed that.

Just for clarification, are you importing from tape or do you already have a dv (or other format) file you're importing? If you're importing a dv file that's over 9 minutes iMovie won't accept it. You can use Quicktime to cut it into pieces though. Final Cut doesn't have that limitation.