iMovie Help - importing a DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lanray, Sep 21, 2006.

1. lanray macrumors regular

Here's the situation. I have a PB G4 and iMovie HD. I made a movie with my digital video camera. I needed the tape for something else, so I used iMovie to burn a DVD (that works in my computer's DVD player). Now, I want to import it back into another iMovie project.

I downloaded HandBrake after reading another thread like this. I ripped the file to .mp4 at 100% constant quality. Did it 2x, and each time it gave the following type error: QT unable to parse -2048. The file that HB ripped is 6.2 gig. QT just says, "QT cannot read the file". I downloaded FFMPEGX, but it's pretty complicated, and I'm not sure how to use it. When I tried to place the .ts file into the program, it said it couldn't read that type.

So, here's my question. How do I rip this DVD to .mp4? Others on the HB forum were having a similar problem that they weren't able to address. One thought I had was instead of ripping the file at 100%, maybe I could tell HB avg bitrate or some other way of defining the file size. I'd like to do it with as near accurate transfer as possible.

Any suggestions? Please?

2. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

does it have to be mp4? cuz there's Mac The Ripper that will rip any video off of a DVD and save it as an avi (i think it's avi) file. And then you could use ffmpegx to convert avi-to-mp4

3. tilman macrumors regular

Why are you trying to make a .mp4 file? Try to export it as a DV stream. That should give you less trouble with iMovie, and your video will be of higher quality, too.

I'm using Quicktime Pro ($), the Quicktime MPEG-2 plug-in ($), and MPEG Streamclip (free) to get video from DVDs into iMovie.

Tilman

4. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

trying to go cheap

I was hoping that there would be a way to do it just with HB. I do have MTR, and I downloaded FFMPEGX (which looks really complicated). Do you know why I'd have trouble getting it to work?

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I'll try HB tonight as I might be having the same problem as you.

6. lanray thread starter macrumors regular

thanks

Thanks, crees! - please do let me know. I keep thinking there has to be a small something or other that I'm not doing that causing the problem.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

So I ripped the DVD using HB to an MP4 file then imported it into iMovie. Import went fine. When trying to play it back in iMovie it was all choppy (video and audio) but when I played it straight in QuickTime it was fine. I'm on a PB and it wasn't plugged in. Anyways, HB was able to string it all into one file so I don't need to use iMovie for this particular project. I think I'm just going to use QT export the file for the web, or I might use something like Sorenson Squeeze.