Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Palmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
I got my first Mac today (Mackbook 1.83GHz w/ 512 mb ram) and I am having some trouble importing video to iMovie with my Panasonic PV GS300, it uses USB 2.0.

iMovie said something about importing the video to my HD but I don't now how to do that.

If anyone can help me that would be great.

Lebowski

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Phoenix, AZ
there is a little switch in iMovie on the left hand side, that toggles between clip view, and camera view i think. slide it to the side with the little camera icon.

your camera needs to be plugged in before you start up imovie, and set to VCR mode, not camera mode.

Palmer

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
dejo said:
That camera should have a FireWire port also. Use that instead. It's easier.

EDIT: The port is labeled DV.

Thanks a lot

What kind of Firewire cable do I need to buy to work with my camcorder?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Palmer said:
Thanks a lot

What kind of Firewire cable do I need to buy to work with my camcorder?

You're welcome.

I'm pretty sure the kind of FireWire cable you need is a 4-pin to 6-pin. Something like this:

FUL1_AV52001-XX.jpg

Belkin Digital Camcorder FireWire Cable, 4-Pin to 6-Pin

Oh, and there's plenty of other vendors besides Belkin for this.

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
To possibly clarify -- many digital camcorders also have a digital still camera included as well. The video is stored on the tape, disc, or HD; the still photos are stored on the memory card. My camcorder uses USB 2.0 to download the still photos into iPhoto and the 4-pin FireWire cable to download the digital video into iMovie. And never the two shall meet. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.