iMovie help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jucie, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jucie macrumors newbie

i took some videos using my digital camera at a concert a few weeks ago and would like to compile them all together to form 1 big video using iMovie.

my memory card was full so i had to upload the videos to a friends computer (i was on vacation) and he put the videos on a cd for me to take back home with me.

all the movies on the cd are .mpg files. is this normal? because when i try to drag the files into the box on iMovie it says it doesn't recongize the file type. this is my first time ever trying to do something like this, so i have no idea what needs to be done.

please help!

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Which version of iMovie are you using?
    Have you tried the "Import" selection from the File pull-down menu in iMovie?

If they are mpeg-2, then you will need to purchase a wee-add-on for Quicktime.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ouVF93S6wjkS1Bm7TqD3/1.0.19.1.0.8.25.7.11.1.3

If that link works (it probably won't).. go to the Apple Store online and search for "mpeg-2 OS X".

Now, I'm not 100% sure that's the problem you're having, but I can't think of any other reason it won't import the movies.

3. jucie thread starter macrumors newbie

well i'm on an iMac G4...so i'm using iMovie version 4.0.1

okay tried the file-import thing. heres the exact message that pops up: Can't Open file "MOV00347.MPG" skipping it and continuing.

sorry if this is a stupid question...but what do you mean by mpeg-2? is this what the files i want to import into iMovie are?

4. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

First tell us which version of iMovie you are using. Then you need to find out what format your video files are saved as. Are they Motion-JPEG, mpeg1, mpeg2, mpeg4 etc? Once you find out, then try to see if Quicktime can play it. If QT can play it, you can most probably import it into iMovie '06, but the big exception is mpeg2. iMovie is not compatible with mpeg2 files, you need to convert them to dv, mpeg4 or something along these lines.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Err.. OK.

Can you open the files with Quicktime Player?

6. jucie thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I can open them with Quicktime. and the files are all mpeg1.

so what you're saying is my current version of iMovie will not allow me to import this type of file? and I need to buy iLife '06?

7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Your current version of iMovie isn't the issue: if the video isn't recorded as .dv or .mp4 you'll need to do some sort of conversion before iMovie can handle it.

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

You'll most likely need an application like MPEG Streamclip. Convert your MPGs into MOVs/DVs and then import into iMovie.

9. jucie thread starter macrumors newbie