iMovie & iDvd file questions

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Chad4Mac, Apr 16, 2003.

1. Chad4Mac macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thank God I got a Superdrive in my new 17in PB. Now I can import, edit and then burn DVDs in iDVD, and free up crucial space on my HD. I'm having the best time doing it too!:) :) I love this computer!:D

So now that I have made my movie in iMovie, and then made a DVD using the iDVD feature in iMovie, which files do I remove from my HD to my backup external HD?

I've got a folder (the movie I created) in my Movies Folder from iMovie, and in my Documents Folder I have a iDVD file (the iDVD movie I made) that I burned onto a DVD. What do I transfer? Both of them?

The iMovie folder is around 5 gigs, with a small resolution QT file in there. (I'd like to save the movie in as a larger file to show people if need be on my computer). And the iDVD files are small, like one gig and less.

I guess I'll transfer the iMovie folder (and/or the larger QT when I make it) and iDVD folder to the external HD. Is this the best way to do it?

PLEASE help!

Hope this made sense....

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    how long is the dvd (ie, the movie you burned)?

a gig or less could be the mpeg2 format of the file if it's not too long...

what did you output from imovie that you then imported into idvd to burn?

i'd think you'd just want to keep the output file from imovie, and the idvd project file (should be small)... that way, you can reburn if need be... if you have the space, and care enough, you should be able to keep the idvd output (ie, mpeg2) and then you might not have to re-encode if you want to burn again. and you can toss the initial video clips unless you want to re-edit them ever again.....

not sure if that's all applicable to your example

try to give more specifics on contents of folders and such.
  3. Chad4Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cool, thanks for your help!

1) The DVD is not long. The original iMovie movie that I created (then transfered over to iDVD) was only 5 gigs, so it really was not all that big. The burn marks on the actual DVD take up only half of the DVD.

File info: The iMovie file holds the content I need to re-edit the file, which could be handy if I ever wanted to do that. I could always save that file and down the line re-edit. But let's say that I didn't want to do that, should I just export to QT in a high quality format (use this file as a viewing tool on my computer) and dump the iMovie file (which is 5 gigs). Is this the best way to save a high quality movie?

More File info: I guess I should save the iDVD file because then if someone wants the DVD, I could always burn another copy for them. I quess that is an important file to have. But which one? I have one that is 1.15 gigs and another that is 10.4 MB (same movie). They both seem to work. What's the deal? Info on them say that they are both iDVD 3 Project files.

The whole objective here is to find the best way to make a final movie in iMovie and export it to iDVD (burn DVD), and then free up any space on my HD by deleting (or saving) the iMovie files to another disk. Am I approaching it right?

Does that help?

Thanks for your help :)