iMovie/iDVD question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dopey220, Aug 1, 2006.

1. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

So, I'm putting together this DVD. The main video file I have is a 1.2 GB .avi file. I wanted to edit it a little before I put together the menus, etc. in iDVD. I imported the video to iMovie to do the editing, and it got to 99% and then crashed. I haven't tried again since, becaues it took a couple of hours to get that far, and I expect the results will be the same. Any advice?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would splt it in chunks and export the chunks to DV iMovie will just load it in seconds

:)

ues QT Pro to split and export to DV
    :cool:

3. dopey220 thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

How should I go about splitting them, where I want the chapters to change or what? Also, is that program free? If not, is there a free program that can do that?

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

once you have the movie in iMovie you can add chapter marks and text and music there,
    once done you can export to iDVD and add your menus - then burn to DVD

:)

Sorry forgot - Quicktime Pro will do it

load avi into QT , then move the sliders at the bottom of movie to where you want to trim , then just copy and create new movie player then paste and then export to DV - repeat for the whole movie and thats it

Attached Files:

• pow.jpg
      pow.jpg
      File size:
      77.3 KB
      Views:
  5. dopey220 thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

Is there a free program I could use to cut up the file before sending it to iMovie?

EDIT: Just for fun, I tried importing a smaller .avi file into iMovie, and got the same results. Does iMovie just have a problem with .avi files in general? It plays fine in QuickTime. I got a plugin of some sort, and upgraded to the latest version of QT, and the file works just fine if I'm watching it. Is there a free program I could use to convert the file to .mov format before importing to iMovie? Would that even help?