iMovie/iDVD

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by bonnie123, Jan 13, 2007.

1. bonnie123 macrumors newbie

I converted an old family movie from a Video on my DVD recorder and it burned it as a VIDEO.TS file which plays on my computer and TV.
    I needed to edit it and add sound but couldn't import it into iMOVIE.
    I then tried a conversion to an .AVI file -- same result.
    I then converted the VIDEO.TS file to a .DV file and it worked perfectly.
    I imported into iMOVIE, edited and added sound and saved it as an IMOVIE PROJECT.
    Everything works perfectly in iMOVIE.
    I then attempted to "SHARE" with iDVD so I could burn the finished product but got an "UNSUPPORTED FORMAT" message.

Please help - where have I goofed?

2. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

As long as you can manipulate the video in iMovie I'd be surprised if iDVD had problems. Have you tried opening the iMovie project from within iDVD? That may be a work-around. Also, you can 'Burn Project to Disc' from within iMovie, if you don't want to add any iDVD effects.

3. -DH macrumors 65816

>>where have I goofed?<<

You would have been much better off doing the editing BEFORE you converted the footage and burned it to DVD.

The DVD-Video creation process highly compresses the video footage ... then you converted it into an editable format for iMovie ... and now you're going to compress it again to make a new DVD. You're taking at least 3 major quality hits with the workflow you choose.

-DH