Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wardofsky

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2002
I seem to be lucky, I downloaded iPhoto first and it eemed to run fine.

The iMovie and it was fine also.

G3 iBook 600

Edit

Actually, I take that back about iMovie, it keeps on quiting when: when files are just about to finish importing and etc.

A bit disapointing.

NicoMan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2002
Malmö, Sweden
Originally posted by MacBandit

The reason I reoganize my apps into separate folders is that I have something like 140 apps. Sorting through all of them and trying to figure out what each does is a real pain in the arse if you don't have them organized by function (i.e. paint, utilities, works, internet, etc.). Therefore what I have done is created an App folder for each user and I put aliases of each app in those folders. This allows each user to organize the apps as they see fit.
I do see your point about categorizing apps within the app folder. That makes perfect sense to me. But what I find a bit over-the-top is recreating 'pseudo' apps folder (with links) for each user... I would have thought that your users would use the dock for exactly that: they place the apps that they use the most often in the dock along with the apps folder itself so that they can easily access the other apps (through your hierarchical organization) in case they need them.

Just a thought (does this make sense to you?).

NicoMan

stewartv

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2002
idvd 3 works with my non OEM superdrive FYI

For those who want to know...I recently purchased a Pioneer A?04 internal dvdr drive and installed it in my G4 400 Tower and have installed iLife and have sucessfully burned two full dvd's....any rumors of it not working on non OEM pioneers is untrue...FYI

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Re: idvd 3 works with my non OEM superdrive FYI

Originally posted by stewartv
For those who want to know...I recently purchased a Pioneer A?04 internal dvdr drive and installed it in my G4 400 Tower and have installed iLife and have sucessfully burned two full dvd's....any rumors of it not working on non OEM pioneers is untrue...FYI
Is that a "Yikes!" or "Sawtooth" G4? (PCI ar AGP graphics card)

If it's "Yikes!" then I feel a lot more comfortable that it will work it in my B&W (with G4 upgrade).

[Edit]
Never mind - a quick trip to http://www.everymac.com shows that the "Yikes!" G4's were 350Mhz.

Anyone out there try this thing on a B&W or older (with a G4, of course)?
[/Edit]

E

evilfunkgenius

show me the money!

so all this talk about new apps, but what I really want to know is.... where is iTunes 4 with rendevouz support? When will I be able to use my PowerMac as a server and all my Powerbooks as client, listening to the same group of music!???

ThomasJefferson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Virginia
iphoto

Well, iphoto is working fine on my G3 600 ibook with maxed out ram. No problems with speed in the general operation of the program ... that is, loading pics from a camera, and navigating/viewing through the pictures. However, I did just place an order for some prints and the transfer was sloth-like.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by NicoMan

I do see your point about categorizing apps within the app folder. That makes perfect sense to me. But what I find a bit over-the-top is recreating 'pseudo' apps folder (with links) for each user... I would have thought that your users would use the dock for exactly that: they place the apps that they use the most often in the dock along with the apps folder itself so that they can easily access the other apps (through your hierarchical organization) in case they need them.

Just a thought (does this make sense to you?).

NicoMan

Seeing how I don't actually organize the system/Applications folder this would not work very well. I do not organize that folder due to installation problems with ill written updaters from Apple and other parties. So what I do is creat an Apps folder in the user folder and place Aliases of apps or there folder within it. This way I can organize it in any method I choose without worrying about update failure. Since I'm doing this for myself I simply duplicate the folder for the other user on the system and in this way they can organize it how they wish too.

CrawfishDaddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2003
Re: Re: iLife install does work with Pioneer Drives

Originally posted by Wry Cooter

You have to buy a G4 upgrade chip for Old Faithful... actually that may not necessarily help, daughterboard upgrades can be famous for not being recognized by software.

Think about what iDVD spends most of its time doing... it compresses video relatively quickly... if it sees a chip that can handle the grunt work. iDVD was introduced on G4 faster than mine, a 400, but at least the altivec extentions would allow this compression to go along at a much faster clip than any G3 might be able to handle. iDVD has always required at least a G4 to work.
I wouldn't even THINK about trying a G3.

You can check out what XLR8yourmac.com has to say about the pioneer drives and iDVD use for some hints and tips- they may have info about CPU upgrades working with iDVD.

Well, I went and bought an OWC Mercury G4/500mhz ZIF upgrade chip and, yes Vriginia, I can open and use iDVD 3 and burn on a CenDyne 4x DVD burner (equiv. to a Pioneer DVR-105). Not to mention that the WHOLE SYSTEM seems about twice as fast as it was. Believe it or not, it even seems faster than my 500 mhz REAL G4 computer at work. Thanks for the tip.

Wry Cooter

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2002
Re: Re: Re: iLife install does work with Pioneer Drives

Originally posted by CrawfishDaddy

Well, I went and bought an OWC Mercury G4/500mhz ZIF upgrade chip and, yes Vriginia, I can open and use iDVD 3 and burn on a CenDyne 4x DVD burner (equiv. to a Pioneer DVR-105). Not to mention that the WHOLE SYSTEM seems about twice as fast as it was. Believe it or not, it even seems faster than my 500 mhz REAL G4 computer at work. Thanks for the tip.

This was in a Beige G3, or a Blue and White?

Apparently Apple has closed a loophole in their license... the license for iDVD3 apparently now says it is for a Mac with SuperDrive as supplied by Apple.. I wonder if Software Update can sniff this out - there will probably be quite a few people going against the terms of this license, probably quite innocently and innocently. When is the last time you actually read a license word for word? You are usually the only one using a piece of software, and you bought the copy you are using, so you assume there is nothing in the license that might possibly apply to you.

I'd buy a new Mac with SuperDrive if the right tower was made... it hasn't been made yet. Although the FlatScreen iMac could probably run circles around my Sawtooth. But if I were to follow the apparent terms of the iDVD license... they have lost a 49 dollar sale in the meantime. I don't want to buy a new mac just to burn DVDs, until the right mac is ready for market.

CrawfishDaddy

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2003
Re: Re: Re: Re: iLife install does work with Pioneer Drives

Originally posted by Wry Cooter

This was in a Beige G3, or a Blue and White?

... I don't want to buy a new mac just to burn DVDs, until the right mac is ready for market.

Blue-and-White G3 at 350 mhz (or at least it used to be 350 mhz ... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.