iMovie: Jerky playback & editing

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by merQrial, Aug 6, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

while in imovie, i can't get the edit playback smooth. quality is set to standard, 30fps, the clips (mpeg4) are fine as is the music (aac). even when i export to quicktime: same problem. I have 30gigs available of hard disk, not running other programs, disk warriored my permissions. Any help would be great.

All the best,

Q

2. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    How many audio clips do you have? More than 99? If so, iMovie will turn to sludge and be v jerky. Group some together and export them to sound only, then dump the original and reimport your groups so that you have less than 50.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi mate,

I have 23 plus 2 still pics.

4. macrumors G4

Applespider

OK... then what machine are you using? If it's got a slow HD, then the amount of space isn't going to mean much.

RAM and HD speed (if it's only a 4200rpm) then you might need to pick up an external one for editing (and backup!)

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a 1Ghz G4 Powerbook with 768 SDRAM. I have been using a 5400 rpm external drive to store & work on the projects, but also tried moving the project to the native HD to see if that helped. It didnt.

6. macrumors G4

Applespider

You might just need more power to do it - or set the edit playback quality to lowest in iMovie and resign yourself to v long export times.

I use an external 7200 hard drive with 1.25GB of RAM to edit on my 1.25Ghz Powerbook and it's OK.

On the few occasions when I tried with 512MB and on the internal, the results weren't good.

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks so much. still no joy. is there any hidden things on my re-formatted hd that i dont know of?

thanks for your time

8. macrumors newbie

Try creating a short test project in NTSC DV format, and see how it is. MPEG is probably more CPU hungry than DV, you might gain speed by switching formats.