iMovie launches like a wounded pig

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Backtothemac, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, I assume that most of us have iMovie now. I have a dual 867 with 512MB Ram, and iMovie takes like 15 bounces to launch. Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this as well. On our dual 1GHZ it is 4 bounces, and on the 600MHZ iBook it is 5 bounces.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Re: iMovie launches like a wounded pig

i have a dual ghz mdd with 256 megabytes of ram. takes about 5 bounces to launch and is very quick. i have already made many movies with it. i love it much more than imovie 2. i havent been around any computers that run imovie 3 slow. i must be one really lucky mac user because my mdd is quieter than a mouse as well. lol

iJon

3. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i have a 400Mhz G3 iMac and it takes 5 bounces in the dock. Inside it it is slow as hell rendering and other things like that.
    but then again i'm still on a G3 so
    yeah

4. Jimong5 macrumors 6502

8 Bounces on my Dual 867 with 256 MB, I find my MDD reasonably quiet too.

5. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

4 bounces on my Ti800 w/ 768mb RAM.

Overall, it feels smoother... maybe because my movies are now stored on another drive.

6. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I am guessing that if you have a large number of pictures and MP3's, this might slow things down - I don't know the level of integration, but obviously iMovie needs to read the contents of iTunes and iPhoto.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

That's my theory. I also think Apple will release a patch or two too speed things up. With the new features and integration and everything it's almost like a 1.0 release, not a 3.0.1 release (see, already one upgrade that I've heard improves speed over 3.0).

Lethal

8. Omad0n macrumors regular

I've got 2 bounces with a dual 867with 640megs of RAM

9. ELYXR macrumors regular

10 Bounces on my TiBook 400...

Does anyone know how to make the dock disappear, but only when the app is open... then re-appear when I close iMovie... like in iMovie 2? :confused:

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

It took 3 bounces on my 933 with 512 megs of ram, and 2 bounces if i quit everything inlcuding the finder (by way of an option in tinktool)

11. janey macrumors 603

janey

1 (or is it two) bounces on a dual 1.25ghz pmac with 10.2.4 and 2gb ram. Pretty fast...

12. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

15 bounces???

My iBook launches it faster than that! Try repairing permissions on your drive. Maybe the iMovie install screwed something up.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

you know what josh keynote bounced like 20 times when i tried to run it on your iBook. I wouldn't say anything.

14. King Cobra macrumors 603

8 bounces --
    Cube 500MHz 1GB RAM
    w/Finder, Photoshop, Appleworks, iTunes (playing music as well), Safari, Quicktime, Preview, Classic active, and 2.7GB of data in my Music/Pictures folder.

mnkeybsnss pointed out the issue iAlan just mentioned as well.

15. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

The picture thing may be valid. I have 14 gigs of MP3's and over 2 gigs of pictures. That would make sense. Weird though.

16. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

17. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

I was satisfied with the launch speed of iMovie, but just to check things out, I repaired permissions on my hard drive (something I had done just last week). Turns out permissions were wrong for both iMovie and iPhoto.

Not sure repairing them helped launch time much, but it might be worth a try for you, Backtothemac.

BTW, an Apple support tech told me that the preferred method for repairing privileges is directly from the boot drive. This is how I always do it now.

Chris

18. Backtothemac thread starter macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Ok, you have my attention, so how do I do it? Is there any danger for data loss, or problems.

Thanks, in advance.
    Chuck

19. fierce macrumors newbie

mine just keeps bouncing and bouncing and bouncing... then after like an hour it finally comes up

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well it can't always have to do with the amount of pictures and music on your computer does it? on my dual 1.25ghz pmac, with about 60-200gb music and about 10gb for pics, it's only one to two bounces...

21. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Use Disk Utility (in your "Utilities" folder). Go to the First Aid tab, select your hard drive, then do Repair Permissions.

I've never read of anyone having problems as a result of this. Given what it does, I can't imagine any data loss.

cjm

22. Omad0n macrumors regular

Just wanted to say that i repaired permissions, and it found something with iMovie. Now instead of 2 bounces to open, it opens in one. All while running AOL, iTunes, and Chimera. sys. specs. are dual 867 with 640megs RAM