imovie not communicating with my Cannon mini DV

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by way2l84sanity, Mar 2, 2007.

1. way2l84sanity macrumors member

I just purchased a Cannon Optura 40 refurbished from Cannon. I have recorded some footage and taken a few still photos.

When I use the usb the still photos import just fine. When I connect with firewire, the computer does not recognize the camera. I followed imovie's troubleshooting tips, I repaired permissions, restarted my computer, and tried the camera with two other macs with the same result.

I don't know if I might be missing something with the set up or if I got a faulty camera. :confused:
    I am using imovie 6.0.3 and quicktime 7.1.3 on a powermac dual 2.7 g5 with 2.5 gigs of ram

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Less Expensive Canon Camcorders Have Communication Breakdowns With Macs

Some Canon camcorders do not get recognized by Macs. I don't know why. I just know it's problematic with Canon brand in particular - especially the less expensive ones.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Try a different firewire cable on your computer and another mac, also if you can try a PC. If none of the above work then it may be the firewire port on your camera that is faulty.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

are you using fw or USB, doesn't imovie only work with fw.

5. way2l84sanity thread starter macrumors member

I have tried two different fire wire cables and it still wouldn't recognize. I called Cannon's support number and they think the port on the camcorder might be faulty. It is under warranty so I can send it back but I was hoping someone might know of a setting or something I might have missed.

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

The only way to really test if the camcorder is faulty is to check the camera on another computer. Not just your Mac. Firewire ports do tend to give out easy. Try Googleing proper handling of firewire ports or something similar. It may give you a few tips.

However, more then likely.. it is your camcorder.