imovie or idvd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dorqiekat, Aug 21, 2006.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Hi, I'll be making a short movie clip for a class and would need a easy program for a newbie to edit digital film and add music and pictures on the movie clips.

Which do you guys think would be easier for me to use for this? iMovie or iDvd? Also, I don't have a superdrive so i'll need to burn the movie file into a regular cd as data instead of a dvd.

Oh, and another thing... the movie file needs to be able to play from windows. :eek:

thanks a bunch.

2. tipdrill407 macrumors 6502

iMovie and iDVD are two different things. iMovie is for you to create your movies, iDVD is to take those movies created in iMovie and burn them to DVD. If you want to burn to a regular cd than you should burn your movies in VCD format. VCDs will playback in most DVD players and Macs n PCs.

3. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

So which one do I use for the editing I need as mentioned?

4. Miguey macrumors 6502

you can edit the movie in iMovie, then share it in .avi format or what format you choose. then just drag that shared file into the blank cd...and theres your data disc

5. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

iDVD is used to create menus for DVDs. It allows you to easily import photos from iPhoto to make a slideshow, music from iTunes or GarageBand as the backing music, and movies from iMovie (you can import media from Finder if you want as well)

iMovie allows you to create and edit movies using recorded media. You can use a camera connected via FireWire, or you can use your computer's iSight camera (if you have one or if its built in) to record stuff, then you can cut it, add effects, etc.

Both perform different tasks, but i believe both do those tasks better than a lot of the competition (especially considering it is FREE!).

iMovie is a fairly easy program to use, but you will appreciate a fast computer (a dual core or a G5 is great, but iMovie is useable on a G4 machine), and you might want to spend an hour or two messing around with effects on a small sample clip.

Good luck with your presentation! The MacRumors community is always around if you need help, tips, tricks, etc.