iMovie or upgrade to Final Cut

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Hikkadwa, May 7, 2006.

1. Hikkadwa macrumors member

Hikkadwa

Considering making a leap to basic Final Cut from iMovie. Is it worth it?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I thought it was worth going to Final Cut Express. If you decide to go this route wait. There will be a new version out in a few months that will be a Universal Binary (and probably add new features etc). If you buy now you will not get a free upgrade...

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

If you take the time to learn the new system, yes, it's worth it. If you don't have the time / don't want to learn, stick with the simplicity of iMovie.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If you have the available $, are willing to enter in to a much steeper learning curve while taking your video editing to another level, by all means, go for it!

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Im in the same boat as you. I've been using iMovie but am thinking about switching to Final Cut, and probably will. I took classes on it and it seems very much worth it.

7. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

go for express, final cut is a pro app and if your just doing basic editing of family movies but want more control, express is for you. I have express and for my needs now its great. The price is right and not 1300....

8. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I think the express way is the best way to go in your position. If your life depends on it (your job) then I would say, go for the full blown thing, but you can get logic for $300 (edu is less) and then upgrade to the full version later for the same cost as the full version in the first place (additional $700 for the upgrade, $1000 new)

anyway, not sure about an upgrade for fcexpress, either way, you save a lot of money.

my .02

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

whats the difference between express and pro..... what can't you do in express that you can do in pro? I never notice and limitations... just less transitions etc:confused:

10. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

yep, basically the same thing, same layout and everything, just crippled a little for a nice tansition between pro and imovie.

11. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You can't set keyframes on effects (or something similar it's been a few months since I used my copy) but you can in Pro. Less RT stuff too iirc.

12. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

You can view multiple cameras at the same time in FCP, great for TV procuvtions or big budget movies.
    It also supports more recording formats than FCE, and more....
    I don´t think FCE supports the new Prosumer HD camera from Panasonic for example