iMovie question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Champale, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Champale macrumors member

Looked around but didn't find a thread on this question...

Is it possible to 'save as' in iMovie? Obviously there's no option for that--at least not that I've found. But does anyone know a workaround?

I've got a short movie that I want make a couple of variations on but don't want to re-create it each time.

And yes, I have Final Cut Express but was curious if I could just do this in iMovie...

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

just looked

I just opened iMovie and looked through it to see what I could find. I couldn't find anything close to "save as" when I looked. I checked the prefs and what not, but no help. The only thing i saw was the export option. I don't know if you can export it as an iMovie file or only as a quicktime file.

3. live4ever macrumors 6502a

You have to create a new iMovie project and import your clips from the first project (it'd be nice if you could do a Save As and create a new project from the 1st).

This is if you wanted to edit differently, but if you just want to try different quality settings on export you'd use the Share function.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I usually save and then duplicate the iMovie project and rename it to create a backup. However, I think what you are looking for is "Share". With it, you can output and render different versions of the movie with different sizes/codecs.

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes, that's the way to do it - option-drag the file in the Finder to a new folder and then rename it. Then move it back or put it in a new folder. iMovie is great, but there are a few things that it lacks, this seemingly being one of them. And why did they have to rename the export option as "Share"? :rolleyes: Talk about gimmicks. I guess they really needed to look as if they changed something from iMovie 3 to 4... :D

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I'm guessing it was renamed for the n00bs. My mother has actually asked me what "default" means in relation to computers. All I could do was splutter for a moment and gather my thoughts before I answered her. Knowing what "default" means is something I've taken for granted for 20 years I guess.

7. Champale thread starter macrumors member

Ahh

Thanks for the workaround tips.

It seems silly that iMovie should be missing such an obvious feature.

Oh well. It's a great product otherwise!