iMovie questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CrackedButter, Apr 5, 2005.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I am doing a video montage with my camera (Fuji S7000). It creates .avi files.

Now I cannot test this but I've had the impression that iMovie cannot or will not import these .avi's. Is this true?

If so what can I do about importing them into iMovie 4 (at least) so I can create my montage? Do i need to buy quicktime so something to convert them into something else and then import them into iMovie?

Thanks for any answers.

2. applefan macrumors regular

Cracked,

I've done this myself with QT Pro. You can export (with audio) AVIs with QT Pro to DV or other iMovie compatible format.

That's the only method I've tried. Maybe someone else can suggest a way that doesn't require the purchase of QT Pro.

Good luck.

3. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

So whats the deal? Do you open up the AVI in QT first and convert it to mpeg, then import it into iMovie?

I don't mind paying for QT Pro.

4. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Export... Movie to DV Stream.
    That should be compatible.

5. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

But in QT Pro right?

6. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yes, I believe you will need QT Pro to do this.

7. ct77 macrumors member

Not to sound like a prick, but have you tried importing the AVI files directly into iMovie 4 yet? It never hurts to just try something and see what happens. :D

I have a Canon Powershot A70 that also produces AVI video files, and I'm pretty certain I was able to open the files directly with iMovie 4.

8. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

It should do just that. My movie's from my S200 can be imported. Done it before. They are avi's.

9. applefan macrumors regular

Cracked,

I may have wasted some of my money. I hope you haven't wasted any of yours yet. hikeNM is absolutely correct. I just tried importing an AVI into iMovie and it worked perfectly, audio too.

10. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Like I said in the first post, I cannot test this. But I had heard iMovie wouldn't touch AVI.