iMovie sound loss frustration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chinashaw, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Chinashaw macrumors member

Hi,
    Someone please help! I have just spent hours converting .mpg files that Quicktime & WM could not play into mpeg.ff.avi, that both play very well.

The aim was to import them all (32 clips) into iMovie and create a movie and then export to iDVD to burn as a nice DVD. That all went well, until I discovered that in the import to iMovie I had lost 90% of the sound for each clip.
    I have been to Apple, checked that I have had all 3 sound track boxes ticked, made sure preferences are set up correctly and in general done exactly as they say and it still does not work.

I have imported the clips to iDVD and they work fine in that but it looks messy and because I have 32 files, I have had to split them into multiple folders etc. It doesn't look too good and I wondered if anyone had a solution, idea or anything?

Thank you,

Nicholas :confused:

2. Chinashaw thread starter macrumors member

One other question....

The files original format was .mpg, which I assume is mpeg-1? I think I have lost quality in converting them to a .avi file so that they can be read with quicktime and MSoft products.

I wonder if there is a better format to convert them to, so I dont lose quality and also is better for viewing on TV etc as a dvd?

3. macvac macrumors newbie

macvac

4. Chinashaw thread starter macrumors member

Many thanks

Hi macvac,

Many thanks for the advice, it seems to have worked, I was using an encoder called FFmpegx. I have imported the films to Imovie and they play ok and hte quality also seems a lot higher.

As for the other item, I did make the change and have kept it as a reference.

THanks again,

Nicholas :)