iMovie sound loss frustration

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chinashaw, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Chinashaw macrumors member

Aug 18, 2005
    Someone please help! I have just spent hours converting .mpg files that Quicktime & WM could not play into mpeg.ff.avi, that both play very well.

The aim was to import them all (32 clips) into iMovie and create a movie and then export to iDVD to burn as a nice DVD. That all went well, until I discovered that in the import to iMovie I had lost 90% of the sound for each clip.
    I have been to Apple, checked that I have had all 3 sound track boxes ticked, made sure preferences are set up correctly and in general done exactly as they say and it still does not work.

I have imported the clips to iDVD and they work fine in that but it looks messy and because I have 32 files, I have had to split them into multiple folders etc. It doesn't look too good and I wondered if anyone had a solution, idea or anything?

Thank you,

Nicholas :confused:
  2. Chinashaw thread starter macrumors member

Aug 18, 2005
    One other question....

The files original format was .mpg, which I assume is mpeg-1? I think I have lost quality in converting them to a .avi file so that they can be read with quicktime and MSoft products.

I wonder if there is a better format to convert them to, so I dont lose quality and also is better for viewing on TV etc as a dvd?
  3. macvac macrumors newbie

Aug 29, 2005
    Midwest USA
  4. Chinashaw thread starter macrumors member

Aug 18, 2005
    Many thanks

Hi macvac,

Many thanks for the advice, it seems to have worked, I was using an encoder called FFmpegx. I have imported the films to Imovie and they play ok and hte quality also seems a lot higher.

As for the other item, I did make the change and have kept it as a reference.

THanks again,

Nicholas :)