iMovie still photo scan resolution

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by marlenedegrood, Oct 8, 2004.

1. marlenedegrood macrumors newbie

I'm working on a movie project that will involve scanning many photos to be placed into iMovie. I don't want to scan them at any higher resolution than necessary so I ask this question....
    What size and what resolution should I scan the photos at? The project will be burned onto DVD and then displayed on a large screen through a digital projector for an audience of about 200 people.
    Thanks in advance!
    Marlene

2. JLS macrumors 6502

96dpi is the maximum a digital projector is going to be able to display.

3. marlenedegrood thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point, but I'm still a bit confused. According to this website http://www.danslagle.com/mac/iMovie/video/2003.shtml I should be scanning a 3"x5" at 300 dpi (no mention of what the movie is being output to) do you think this would be overkill?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

Marlene

4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

The most you would have to do is the max of the DVD spec and NTSC which is 720 x 480. Keep in mind scaling as well, NTSC pixels are taller than what your monitor displays (computer pixels are square). Just google for image sizing for DVD and you should find it. Orientation plays a role too, portrait vs. landscape.

cpjakes

5. marlenedegrood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Marlene