iMovie to FCE - Learning curve?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dhc, Nov 13, 2006.

1. dhc macrumors regular

After many happy years and countless projects created in iMovie, I'm starting to feel the urge to develop my editing abilities and creativity in a different application. I've been reading up on Final Cut Express and its fair to say the interface appears significantly different to iMovie - but can someone with experience in both apps reflect on how painful/painless the transition was? Any advice/things to bare in mind?

Thanks.

2. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

It's probably pretty easy if you are a "high tech" person... I just watched the lynda.com tutorial video's and Final cut was off and running in a few hours... It probably takes ~5 hours of "goofing" around to get the jist of most of the features...

3. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

ya, i bought a book for FCE 2 and never got into it, i learned it by just doing it and figuring things out

4. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

I think this transition will be made easier because I enjoy "goofing" around, so it's quite exciting to try to approach something I'm comfortable with, from a new direction. I'm definately a hands on learner, so reading up, without being able to apply tutorials, is a pain - I wish Apple had a 30 day FCE trial.

Thanks for the Lynda.com link - will follow it up.

David

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

you could go to the store and play around with it

6. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

I went from iMovie to FCE but it came with some neat training DVD things to get me started. Not much of a curve at all.. :D but i am a bit of a techy person :) lol

7. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

8. dhc thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortuatley that would invlove a hefty drive, plus the last time i went to the Regent street store, it was like a walk in internet cafe; getting close to a machine was tough enough, but convincing the user that my needs were more important than their MSN chat was tough going too..

This is great - thanks alot.:D