iMovie to Quicktime for posting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rebhaf, May 17, 2006.

1. rebhaf macrumors member

Aug 25, 2005
    I'm trying to post a home video on, which allows you to post videos up to 100MB.

When I transfer (or "share") my clip from iMovie to Quicktime format, I only see options for high quality (about 600MB) and CD ROM (about 20MB) and lower. Nothing in between. And, unfortunately, the quality in 20MB is pretty bad.

Is there some way to manually choose the resolution? Or, if not, is there another way to get closer to 100MB? The iMovie file is 1.47GB.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
  2. G99 macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    You could try iSquint. It can convert most media files into mp4 format. You can set quality too. I'm not sure if it supports DV, but you could try it.
  3. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Sep 16, 2001
    Tuttlingen, Germany
    Do new versions of iMovie not let you have advanced options? I'm pretty sure my older version of iMovie lets me output to just about any QuickTime settings imaginable. But maybe that's because I have QT Pro. Any insight?
  4. rjgonzales macrumors regular

Mar 14, 2006

I was thinking the same thing, but I also have QT Pro.:confused:

To the OP... are you trying to watch the compressed file in something larger than it's new resolution? Playing a 360x240 file(for example) larger than native will give you a degrated pic.
  5. rebhaf thread starter macrumors member

Aug 25, 2005
    No, I'm just trying to take my iMovie project and save it as a QuickTime file around 95 MB (the limit to post videos on is 100 MB). When I have the iMovie project open, I click on File/Share and it gives me lots of options, like email, CD Rom, etc.

The highest-quality option is to format it for iDVD and that makes it about 600 MB. The second-highest quality after that is for a CD ROM, which makes it about 25 MB. This is what I used and the the quality is pretty bad. I'd like to get it around 90 or 95 MB.
  6. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    when you click share in iMovie the bottom has an option for "expert" in there you can export to any format almost and you can change the size and what nots

for youtube i would just use the E-mail export setting / or use the iWeb export as that will put the file size to under 10mb