imovie ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GetGo, Jan 3, 2004.

1. GetGo macrumors regular

If I create an imovie on an ibook can I move the file to my PC which has a DVD burner in it? I do have a wireless network so maybe I can share a folder or something.

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

You should be able to if you have the latest Quicktime installed on your PC. What format does your DVD burner software support? You need to export in full quality DV format from iMovie (File>Export) so that you don't lose any quality but your biggest problem will be the data transfer rates with large file sizes. If not, choose MPEG4 but this will lose data (better for CD).

It would be best to use an ethernet cable to connect the two. Ideally you need gigabit ethernet but the iBook and most PCs use 10/100 ethernet so that would have to do. Even a wireless g network would be too slow I would have thought.

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

4. GetGo thread starter macrumors regular

So how would you do it Horrortaxi?

How would you do this?

5. Blagmeister macrumors newbie

creating DVD in iMovie 3 with iBook

Can anyone answer this? I was wondering the same thing. I have an iBook and am in the process of creating a 'masterpiece' in iMovie. I would like to burn this to DVD but as the iBook doesn't have one how can export the final project so I can burn it using the DVD burner in my PC?

Thanks in advance.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Once you are done w/the movie go to "Export->to Quicktime -> Full Quality DV" Then take that file and xfer it to you PC. Once it's on your PC you will need to compress it, author it (to make the menus and what not), and then burn it to DVD.

Lethal

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Give me a little more details about your setup. It sounds like you want to know more than you originally asked. Quicktime Pro can encode your iMovies is a large variety of formats that the PC can use. The PC can use .mov but your DVD authoring software might want another format. MPEG-4 ought to work, right? Or DV--universal.

8. Blagmeister macrumors newbie

got it

Thanks for the tips all. I worked it out.

I have exported my movie to a self-contained quicktime movie using the expert settings. I have two editing packages on the PC that will allow me to import the mov. Now I can add chapters and hopefully burn a DVD.

Cool. Was almost regretting saving money by going for the iBook instead of the Powerbook but it's ok now.