Impeachment (via the back door)

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thomas Veil, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

My bold.

That second-last paragraph is a hoot! I guess Bush would have to actually take out a gun and shoot somebody down in cold blood in broad daylight -- in front of witnesses -- for Barnett to be satisfied.

Anyway, I find this "back door" provision interesting, and Gaye Symington aside, I think they should go for it. It may not stand much of a chance, but the more this is debated in the public arena, the more knowledgeable people will become about Bush's crimes.

God bless Thomas Jefferson. :D Link

2. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

It's too early. We need the Congress before we can start the impeachment. If we start it now, the Republicans will laugh it off. Shoot, we can hardly get the Democrats to stand in a row.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Like Cheney did?

4. aquajet macrumors 68020

Let's be real here. That was purely unintentional.

5. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Meh.

I think the reason there's no serious move for impeachment is because no one thinks President Cheney or President Hastert would be much better than Bush.

Now, if the dems win the house in the midterm election, things could get interesting....

6. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

We talked about this line-of-succession thing once before.

Some of us have argued that sure, there are so many asses in this administration that you'd just end up with another one -- Hastert or Stevens, for example -- but seeing the folks before them drawn up on charges and booted out might just serve as a warning to the rest of them to tread a little more carefully.

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Nah, they would just play the victimization part to the point of melodrama. They've already gotten started with this whole "War on Christianity" bit. Can you imagine the hoopla the GOP would mount if Bush were impeached? Cheney would play it up like it's him fighting bare-handed to keep the liberal gestappo from serving tea to Osama and handing out free healthcare to everyone in the whole world.

Heck, his approvals might even pull up out of the teens.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

This is exactly what the next-to-last paragraph was talking about. Nobody thinks Bush committed 'crimes' except for those who can't stand his politics. Go sell crazy someplace else Thomas! If you don't like him, elect someone with different views. Don't try to put him in jail. Its called democracy.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

would he be polling this badly if only a few people thought he'd committed crimes?
    [​IMG]

this image and many others found here.

10. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Or it could just be that people disagree with his policies or something like that... Last time I checked low poll numbers can be caused by things other than felonies and misdemeanors. ;)

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And you just keep your head in the sand then. There are many instances in which Bush has most likely broken the law. He's even already stated that he won't abide by sections of the Patriot Act- a law HE pushed for. What good is a law if the President won't even follow it?

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're welcome to your opinion, but i think it goes beyond that. how we got into iraq, the outing of valerie plame, spying on americans, putting himself above the law by executive fiat, signing a bill that congress didn't pass -- these are all big topics. this ain't no clinton blowjob we're talking about, and i think a lot of people are beginning to realize that, including conservatives and former bush supporters.

i think we're way past the "you just don't like him" point.

13. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

and you're welcome to your opinion too. valerie plame? LOL... join us back in the real world sometime, will ya?! ;)

But really, I'm half kidding, but you guys really sound like loons on here sometimes. All the 'loony' 'wacky' 'moonbat' stuff that all the leftwing blogs get criticized for is the same stuff you guys come in the MR forums and go to town on. I just don't think you realize how disconnected you are from the way most people in this country think. Things aren't that different from how they were in Nov. 2004, apart from the wishful thinking on your guys' part.

But, as you said, that just my opinion that I'm welcome to :D

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

uh-huh. i guess we'll see.

ummm.. bush has dropped nearly 20 points since then.

[​IMG]

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

bush was elected by a bare minority, that hardly constitutes a disconnection ou our part. Also, the poll humbers were trumpeted by the right when they were high, now they're being ignored or even worse, the pollsters are being maligned as enemies of freedom, whatever that is.

Most people in this country realize that post-Katrina, bushco has no grasp on how to deal with disasters. Also, his refusal to play by the rules when it comes to bill signings has a lot of people worried about how presidential power has increase to the detriment of the democratic political process. If there's a disconnect it has to be amongst those who only see bush through rose colored glasses when he pays lipservice to their increasingly narrow-minded and bigoted policies.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

btw, heb, if you're really unable to see how opinion of bush has changed, in the large, and how the GOP is panicking and making some serious decisions now on whether to run towards or away from bush for the fall elections, i don't know what to tell you other than you're not paying attention.

and like stu, it seems you're more interested in making fun of people here than discussing anything of issue. i can only assume you're taking out on us your frustrations at the GOP. it's immature.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

hey, you're probably right. We'll see in November.

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

You're right that Bush's numbers have fallen. Right after he was elected, he announced he was going to 'spend his political capital.' I'm guessing thats what we're seeing right now, even if I don't agree with everything he's up to. But he's not up for re-election.

And come on. Lets quit with the immature thing. You guys know I like to mess with you and pull your stings. I know we don't agree and we're not going to on most stuff. Lighten up.

I've defended Bush on a lot of things and I'm not altogether happy with him right now, as we've discussed in other threads. But its definitely not as bad as you guys like to make it out to be.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Bush's numbers have "fallen?" They are rock-bottom, my friend. Even his party-mates in Washington, the ones who are standing for reelection this year, are trying to put some daylight between themselves and Mr. Bush. The man is radioactive.

Bill Clinton was never this unpopular even during the midst of the Monica nonsense. Now for Republican party loyalists, that must really sting -- but please, do yourself a favor, and don't take it out on the people who never approved of Bush in the first place.

20. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Considering what most people think of Bush right now, either the rest of the country is becoming loony or maybe we're on to something. I don't have a problem with opposing view points, but you haven't actually made any points here. Calling us names isn't going to get anywhere. Considering many of us were right there with him in that 90% approval rating right after 9/11 (and some beyond that), did you ever think that maybe some of us don't like him because of what he has done since? You yourself are starting to have problems with him, as are many of the other conservatives across the country, so it's not just us. Sure, some of us here take things a bit too far sometimes, but I don't blame people for seeing the worst considering there has been so little good.

And as for crimes, zim listed most of the good ones. But if you think the memos leading up to the Iraq war, or spying on people without warrants, or releasing the name of a CIA agent for political revenge against her husband are no big deal, I don't know what to tell you. But you're right, I hate Bush for no ration reason. :rolleyes: Why do you like him again? Seriously, why? I'd really like to know because no one ever tells me why they do.

21. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

This question has been asked before and still has not had an answer.

22. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Back to the TOPIC....?

Anyone?

The "back-door" impeachment is really, really, really unlikely. Yet again, I always did like Thomas Jefferson. Minus the whole strict construction thing.

Alas, I could see something happening after the midterms. What bothers me is that not only are there people disapproving because he is an overstepping jerk, people are disapproving because they feel that he is not doing ENOUGH to help the conservatives. Ugh. How many of them are there, anyway?

23. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You do realize that the "spend [one's] political capital" idea falls in the line of spending money to make money, like investing in a business. The idea was, in the context of Bush 1, that he had a lot of support (high ratings) but didn't do anything with those high ratings to push through an agenda. So, by not spending his capital he lost it (and the opportunity to do something with it).

So Bush 2 probably didn't mean by "spending political capital" a quest to become astonishingly unpopular. What he meant was using his "mandate" to push through legislation and craft a clear agenda and vision for the US--something he hasn't exactly been doing.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I know, I've asked it too. Still no answer. It's one thing to propose impeachment, but if his numbers continue to go down, I wonder if there will be anybody left after Nov. who will fight against it.

Maybe a few... the whole Pres. Cheney or Hastert thing. :eek:

25. Thomas Veil thread starter macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Probably.

Still, I'd love to see it reach the floor of the House as a resolution introduced by the legislature of Vermont...even if it goes no further than that.

Even if Bush suffers no other indignities for the rest of his term, what a great paragraph that would make in the history books! :)