impending powerbook updates?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by plinkoman, Oct 12, 2005.

1. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

does anyone here put any stock into think secrets claims that updated powerbooks are imminent, possibly as soon as next tuesday?

i'll have the money friday, and i want a powerbook in my hand next tuesday, but the problem of playing this rumor game is this rumor isn't about to go away anytime soon, think secret has been saying powerbook updates since august, and if nothing happens tuesday, i'm sure they'll keep saying it untill something actually happens

and whats actually making me care right now is the iMac updates to pci-express and ati x600, both of which have their mobile forms, and if they were willing to change the imac architecture that much before intel, then who knows, maybe they will update the powerbook, and maybe it will be more signifigant then 30MHz...

thoughts?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

the wait for powerbooks has been extremly long.

I can only imagin how apples going to make it awesome and worth the wait

3. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I was told from a VERY reliable friend of mine to wait at least 3 weeks, he told me this one week ago. It's only a matter of time, I'm waiting for the updates as well and I can't wait! :D

4. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Time will tell with the Powerbooks. IMO, I think the Powerbooks will receive one more update before they go Intel. When? I hoping before the holiday season which would give ~6-7 months before the first Intel Macs start shipping which would seem like a reasonable time frame for the last revision. If they don't update them before the Intel switch, that, assuming the Powerbooks are first in June, that'll be 1.5 years between the last update, in this last January and June of 06.

So yea, we'll see :D

5. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I'm guessing they will add a camera and a remote that clips into the pb somehow.. Or at least the camera :D
    And they will probably add those cameras to the displays at next update.

6. generik macrumors 601

generik

That image has been proven to be a hoax.

Just buy it now, I'm heard Apple has been delaying PB orders to the 27th (apparently website still says 1-2 days, but actual orders will see the delay).

If the updates are as big as they say Apple might well want to do just that. Screwing the customer isn't Apple's favourite policy... is it?

7. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

your saying that ordering now may get me an updated pb on the 27th, or a current one?

in any case i was planning on buying from a reseller to avoid $200+ of tax, either i do some more waiting, or get it from a reseller, and i really really don't want to wait any longer, i've been saving for the thing for so long, but everytime i had enough, i had to spend it one other stuff: school, new car etc... :(

i just want this ****ing month to be over and me have the thing already

8. cube macrumors G4

9. generik macrumors 601

generik

Woah.. you are eying for a 17"?

Seriously, that extra money isn't really worth it? A 15" would be just great for portability

10. plinkoman thread starter macrumors 65816

plinkoman

the difference between a loaded 15" and a 17"(which is inherintly loaded) is $100

besides, i can get the 17" for cheaper because i cant get a bto 15" from a reseller(that doesn't charge tax), that and i don't see a 1lb and 2in difference as anything more then a negligable difference in portability

it seems well worth it to me ;)

11. buddyspencer macrumors regular

is that really truth?? any news about it? maybe a guy how is waiting for his new PB....?!

Can anyone confirm the delays?

12. drake macrumors 6502a

drake

The new powerbooks will be worth the wait. The basic unit will have a 60gb ram hard drive, Pentium quad processor, ATI x1800xt graphics, choice of high resolution wide screen displays, 1gb ram, x16 superdrive packed in a dent free titanium case. Starting price of $899. All coming next Tuesday during their "One More Thing to that One More Thing from Last Week" Event. :p

13. guitarMAC macrumors newbie

resellers question

So.. question for all of you. What's the deal with the resellers? I noticed that many of them are cheaper than buying through the Apple store, and no tax involved. Is there a catch? are these powerbooks any different? will they have the same warranties? can I buy from a reseller and then walk into apple store and get the apple protection plan? will they fix my computer if it messes up?

I haven't owned a computer before, and am dying for the new powerbooks to come out, but if I can save 400 bucks at a reseller, and then use that savings to get the apple protection plan, that's the route I'd love to go. I have no qualms with buying my ipod through a reseller, cause those don't change much at all, but would any of you buy a $3000 laptop through the reseller?

thanks in advance for your opinions and thoughts.

14. sfox macrumors newbie

delays are real

Ordered my 1.67 15" (stock) config back on Sept 23 (through educational channels). The site claimed 1-2 day shipping times. But on Sept 30 I got a notice that my PBook was stuck at the 'processing order' state and would ship "on or before Oct 24". That status hasn't changed since Sept 30. I take that to mean the edu channels are cleaned out of the current model and so I'm stuck waiting for the new model to ship.

The edu store currently lists this model as 1-2 weeks to ship, the UK store 6-8 days. Could just be this model is running out because of a parts shortage but it seems more likely to me that it's just sales channels running empty before the new model shows.

15. themacman macrumors 6502

everyone always screws the 12''. Apple must care about their most portable power machine, dont they?

16. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

17. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

sw1tcher

Yep. About as awesome as the recent iBooks updates.