Impending unemployment in london - what training to do!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Dunepilot, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Afternoon everybody. I'm hoping the UK MacRumors community might be able help me out with a couple of important questions I have.

As of Tuesday 21st Feb I'm finishing my current job (the back story to this is that I've handed in my notice so that I can move from London to Winchester or somewhere else in Hampshire to live nearer my fiancee).

I'm applying for various jobs in Hampshire right now; my background for the past 2.5 years has been working for a small charity to distribute government grants - but the other half of my job here has been IT related - administrating a bespoke Access database, providing general IT training and troubleshooting for 12 staff, editing a database and managing a network of 12 XP boxes plus a Mac. I have no paper IT qualifications at present, but a fair amount of real-world experience of helping people.

So here are my dilemmas:

1)I'm likely to be living in London for 3 or 4 weeks while I try to pin down a job in Winchester or elsewhere in Hampshire. I'm thinking that I might try and take some sort of course to get an MCSE/MCSA or some Mac qualifications, to make good use of the time. Has anyone else taken such qualifications in London, how much did they cost, and where did you do them? Was the teaching any good?

2)Does anyone know of any Mac-friendly employers who might be recruiting staff in Hampshire? I'm no designer, but can do most other things, and I have some good project management, budget experience, that sort of thing. I also have a good BA and a Masters from Oxford University (History) so I can write reasonably well where necessary.

I'm really keen to hear any suggestions. Macrumors is pretty much the only forum on the internet I could think of where I'd be likely to get an intelligent response. :D

2. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Not sure if this is allowed, but *bump* can anyone please give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

3. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I wish I could help, but I know little of London and the various good trainng courses in your area. :(

Good luck!