Import a Car

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by *Y*, May 18, 2006.

1. *Y* macrumors regular

Hey,

I was wondering if it is possible to import a Peugeot from Europe to the United States and how much it would cost. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any suggestions?:D

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Plus:

http://www.peugeot.com/regions/en/popUp_pays/carte_usa.htm
    B

3. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Hey does anyone know about how much shipping charges would be?

4. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I was going to tell you that I had never really seen one of these on the streets ... maybe one my whole life ... usually thats for a reason. I think shipping charges would be pretty ridiculous anyway ... enough to offset the cost of sale and repurchasing something similar.

Looking at their website you would have to have an expensive mod to make them drive on the left side to be street legal for the US. There are a few classic cars that have permits but usually these permits are for rare cars and the cars are not daily drivers (shows + sunday type cars).

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I saw a Peugeot on the streets in Seattle a year or two ago, that might be the only one I've seen on the streets in the US though.

7. vniow macrumors G4

They used to sell them over here briefly in the 1980s, it didn't go well so they stopped. Now the only way to get them over here is importing them yourself.

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

???

Europe (apart from the UK) drives on the left!

9. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

ohh I love the hard top convertiable peugeot!!
    I wish they made them here in usa
    I asked a question like this a while ago about importing a 3 door audi A3 (they only make 5 door in the usa and I personally think they are ugly like that)
    but I know I wont be getting a car imported from europe for my 16 birthday so I guess I'm going to have to go with the VW golf haha :D

10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I googled Peugeot and I realize that I clicked on the first link which is (.co.uk) so I guess I made the assumption that he was in the UK ... but thats not clearly stated so you are correct unless he does in fact live in the UK.

Off the cuff without researching this brand, I would guess they limit the import because of emissions or safety. I might be completely off base but these are typically the hardest factors to overcome for a foreign manufacturer based on what I've read.

I'm sort of glad that they won't let them in here ... I'm being 100% american minded but I don't like their style that much. Then again I don't like most car style ...

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

a new one?

there's actually a Peugeot dealership/garage (or something) on Route 17 in NJ. maybe calling them might land you with some info? perhaps?

12. *Y* thread starter macrumors regular

Guys first lets try to keep this on topic, and not go on about how I should fix my car. My car is running good right now, I was just wondering for the future. Second to answer your question, I am not going to buy a brand new peugeout. I was looking at a 406, and they do not make them anymore. So....

Thanks, keep the replies coming.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wonder if that's the same as the address in the link I provided.

Peugeot Motors of America Inc.
    Overlook at Great Notch
    150 Clove Rd
    Little Falls, New Jersey 07424
    Tel : 001 973 812 44 44
    Fax : 001 973 812 21 48
    E-mail : customerservice@peugeotusa.net

They claim [Peugeot] is represented by Peugeot Motors of America, Inc , which maintains an inventory of replacement parts and documentation necessary for the maintenance or repair of the most recently sold vehicles and provides technical support to a network of service points in the USA and Canada.

However the 406 is not on their list.

B

14. TheEdisonEffect macrumors member

Little OT, but that's complete BS. RHD is legal in the US, fairly rare and a bit of a pain due to visibility, but not a required conversion. They're just trying to screw you for every cent they can get, methinks.

15. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

He speaks the truth. RHD cars are perfectly legal in the US. The problems are always emissions and crash safety basically. There are definitely exemptions some cars can be imported you'd need to check the government website to see if there's already an exemption set aside for that model. If there isn't i definitely would not bother trying to be the first. It is quite possibly one of the worst processes on the face of the planet for an individual to get a car in. Keep in mind Bill Gates could not get a Porsche 959 legalized ( yes i know they're legal now due to "show" rule).

16. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Their current products meet Euro IV emissions standards which are generally considered to be the toughest in the world and their cars are tested by Euro-NCAP.

My thoughts would be that they do not meet the more unusual requirements of the US which tend to force European manufacturers to ship cars to the states on jacked up suspension which destroys the look and ride of the cars just to allow them to get up driveways in California!

17. mpw Guest

Or possible that most cars that are sold in both the US and EU are considerably cheaper in the US and Peugeot don't see a business case to spend money on marketing to 'crack' the US for such little returns. They also know their product is **** and don't want to endure the US's litigation culture.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

A friend of mine drives a 96 Accord sedan. Pulling out of one exit at the Wendy's near school, it scrapes the sidewalk with only him driving. Road & Track is currently keeping the chin spoiler of their long-term Chrysler SRT8 (300-based) off the car, because they already had to pay $2k to replace it once. The (small) air dam underneath the bumper of my car is easily 6 inches above the ground, and yet it's missing a chunk off the left side (although I think that was my brother's fault).
    There are many areas in this country where having a low ground clearance can cause your vehicle to get damaged (yes, you in the lowered civic with the pointless body kit), hence the minimum ground clearance limit.