Import addresses from Microsoft Exchange 2003?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lieb39, Dec 4, 2006.

1. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Hello everyone-

I have all my contacts on my Microsoft Exchange 2003 on my windows machine - I want to import to the address book on my mac. What's the exact settings for exporting / importing?

Thanks-

lieb39

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Entourage 2004 should pick them up automatically. No need to import. Otherwise, you can save your contacts as vCards and open them in Address Book.

3. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

Not really helpful since I have my contacts on a Windows Machine running Outlook 2003 and I want to transfer them to my apple...

Cheers

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

This was a problem when I switched in 2004, and remains an issue. Despite the fact that Microsoft makes both Outlook and Exchange, the unecessary hurdles to performing this seems petty on their part.

I was trying to remember how I did it, but you're in luck - this was posted today in Macworld:

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/mac911/2006/12/outlooktoaddress/index.php

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You say that you are using an Exchange server? Are you saying that your contacts are available only one one computer? You cannot access them from any other computer? Have you tried? All of my contacts are automatically synchronized to my Exchange server, even using Entourage 2004. Exchange does not pickup the titles my Entourage mailing lists, but the actual lists are there. Suffice it to say, Outlook synchronizes everything to Exchange.

6. Queso macrumors G4

Create a PST file on the Outlook machine and copy all Contacts from your Exchange mailbox into it. Then exit Outlook and transfer the PST file onto the Mac. Entourage can import the contacts providing you have installed the PST Import Tool available as a free download from Microsoft

Bear in mind that if you transfer the file using a CD, you will have to mark the file back to read/write once it's on the Mac's hard disk, otherwise it won't open.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

PST Import Tool is intended to transfer .pst files created using Outlook 2001, the most recent MacOS 9 version of Outlook. The Tool is not intended to handle Windows Outlook .pst files, which is confirmed by personal experience.

8. Queso macrumors G4

Hmm. Sorry, they used to be the same format though. Maybe if Outlook 2000 or XP was used to create the PST, rather than 2003?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You are not listening. The Tool is Mac-exclusive. If Microsoft wanted it to import Windows-based .pst files, it would have programmed it to handle them.

10. Queso macrumors G4

OK, but having imported PST files from Outlook 2000 for Windows into Outlook 2001 for Mac in the past, I was thinking the format had to be the same, since that worked fine.

11. lieb39 thread starter macrumors 6502

lieb39

Well I ended up installing Thunderbird as per the article.. Couldn't get the option as 'forward as vcard' to come up.. worked.

Cheers!