Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeKa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so hello from sunny Sydney Australia!

I've just made the switch from the PC world to a new 17" iMac. Wow what a beautiful machine! I've only had it 2 days and I love it.

I want to do away with the PC completely, so I want to transfer some e-mail for the last month or two from Outlook 2000 to Entourage X. The problem is, Entourage X wants MBOX files to import from (or Outlook Express and a few other options) but Outlook 2000 doesn't export MBOX files.

Has anyone done this before and know how to do it?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing from you :D

Derek

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Question? Does your mail server support IMAP? If it does, then make sure outlook is configured to use it (or are you on an exchange server, in which case, it should also be able to do imap, depending on whether your mail administrator enabled it).

So with IMAP, all of your mail can be stored on the mail server. You can even create new folders in your main IMAP folder. Depending on how much mail you have, and how much space you are allowed on your mail server, you can move any mail stored locally on your computer to the IMAP folders. Then you can just set up Entourage to use IMAP, and then you should probably just keep your mail where it is, on the server, assuming that it is backed up regularly, and your not going to blow your quota.

Avoid POP at all costs. See if you can use SSL to encrypt your sessions when your reading your mail, particularly if you are checking your mail on a wireless network. Wireless + POP = easy way to sniff passwords.

See if that works.

DeKa

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 13, 2002
Sydney Australia
Hi everyone,

I just found the solution to my problem of transferring old e-mail from Outlook to my new mac.

http://www.littlemachines.com

have a program called Outlook2Mac for US$10 which transfers everything, including attachments. I've tried out the demo and it works a treat, so I might just have to buy it :D

Derek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.